We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks????

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sharks????

We're planning a trip to Breezes Curacao this Dec. 31 to Jan.7. We LOVE to snorkel but my daughter has seen a few to many movies. She has asked if there are sharks around Curacao. We just were at Beaches Negril in Jamaica and had a blast. Can anyone advise if there are any of these beasts close by and do they have many jelly fish around too??

seattle, wa
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharks????

Absolutely there are sharks, but will you see one snorkeling? Not likely. We were there last March (2005) and I went snorkeling on several different beaches...never saw a single shark. Trust me...if I saw sharks while snorkeling, I too wouldn't go near the water. We'll be back in May and I plan on doing a lot more snorkeling (and scuba diving)! So tell me..is this your first trip to Curacao?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharks????

This would be our first time to Curacao. We have done Jamaica with the kids and they loved it. Curacao was our 2nd choice for our recent trip Dec. 31 - Jan. 7, 2006. I've read the trip reports, read some great reports in our local Toronto newspapers on Curacao and we're going for it. Like I said, snorkelling is a big part of our trip. I'll just make sure my daughter doesn't watch JAWS or anything!!! I hope you post more details about your upcoming trip.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
139 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharks????

I did a lot of snorkeling in Curacao in April 2005, and didn't see any signs of sharks. There were quite a few tiny jellyfish (very tiny & clear, like I had never seen before) floating at the beach at Playa Porto Marie, and I did accidentally bump one with my hand & get a very minor sting -- nothing very painful and certainly nothing to seek medical attention over.

Has anyone else seen those tiny clear jellyfish around Curacao?

seattle, wa
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharks????

If you're interested, I posted a trip report from our trip last March. It's under the Hilton reviews. Like I said, we're going back...simply because we had the perfect vacation there and see no reason to go anywhere else!

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147278-d150…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharks????

Thanks for letting me read your review. You have the same attitude I have - don't sweat the small stuff!! About renting a car - do they drive on the right side of the road or left?? Did you feel comfortable driving - are the road signs in English or Dutch?? Can you get lost?? Did you need to pre-book your rental car prior to arriving in Curacao?? Can you do the island in one day?? About snorkeling....do they have any riptides you need to worry about or is the water pretty calm?? I have heard horror stories about undertows in Mexico (part of the reason why I'll never go). If I pay for a carribean holiday you won't find me in the pool - I'll be in the ocean. Thanks for all your help!

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
139 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharks????

>>> Do they drive on the right side of the road or left??

They drive on the right.

>>> Did you feel comfortable driving - are the road signs in English or Dutch?? Can you get lost??

The road signs are in Dutch, but they're not too hard to figure out. The roads were good, and unless you plan to explore the north coast windmill farm, you don't even need 4wd. I won't say that you can't get lost, but with a decent map, you'll find your way around all right. We got by just fine with the map from the rental car company.

>>> Did you need to pre-book your rental car prior to arriving in Curacao??

We pre-booked the rental car with Budget, and got a good deal. Other posters have noted that it's much more expensive to wait & book once you're on the island.

>>> Can you do the island in one day??

That's a matter of opinion, I suppose. We spent 3 days exploring most corners of the island, hiking to the top of Mt Christoffel (there is a decent driving tour there, but it won't get you to the top, and you might need 4wd for that), lots of time along the rugged north coast, visits to other beaches around the island, etc. We still didn't get to Hato Caves or much of anything east of the Seaquarium. It really depends how much you want to explore.

>>> About snorkeling....do they have any riptides you need to worry about or is the water pretty calm??

Our experience in April 2005 was that everything was exceptionally calm all along the south coast. I have seen posts from others indicating rough seas, though I don't know what time of year that was.

Enjoy your visit!

Mauston, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharks????

I've been to Curacao 6 times and have done about 100 dives and have only ever seen one nurse shark. I cannot recall seeing any stinging jellies, we have seen some non-stinging ones at Tugboat and Mushroom Forest.

I have seen sea-wasps attracted to pier lights in Bonaire, so I would guess that this would also be the case in Curacao, though I haven't seen any myself.

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharks????

We were in Curacao in April 2005. Only sharks we saw were the ones we fed at Seaquarium! We did however, see octopus, lobster, morays, puffers, tarpons, and some tuna boils indicating whale sharks just off the coast of our resort (Sunset Waters).

London, UK
Level Contributor
72 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharks????

My husband (a dive master) just did 10 dives there and didn't log any shark sightings. I have never heard about any attacks on snorkellers (divers, swimmers, et al) around Curacao.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharks????

I have lived in Curacao for 30 years and have NEVER heard of any Shark attacks and have never seen one swimming, snorkeling or diving.

I do know that we reportely have sharks on the Northern side of the island, but this is the rough side were there are no beaches and those are Nurse sharks. Any diver can tell you that these are non dangerous bottom sucking sharks.

So just come with your kids and enjoy the great and save snorkeling.

remco@explorecuracao.com

Get answers to your questions about Curacao