We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Pack a Hat in your suitcase

Bradford West...
Level Contributor
882 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
How to Pack a Hat in your suitcase

The sun is really strong in Cuba and I met more than one person who was suffering from sunstroke when we were there in April. It is not always possible to get a Palapa so it is important to have a hat. If you have a favourite straw hat but do not know how to pack it I have suggestions for you.

This is really straightforward and yet, so effective! I owe it to a friend of mine who was traveling with me to Israel a few years ago. I have since taken my hat through several countries without any damage. In fact, you can see our hats in the pic of our room from our hotel review. My husband's hat is in the forefront and my large hat is on the desk. The title of the review (April 19) was Amazing Time at Hicacos.

You are going to be packing your hat with the Crown upwards not facing down.

Place a layer or two of clothing on the bottom of your large suitcase.

Fill the crown with tightly rolled-up socks/undies. So it is snug and firm.

Place it "crown-up" into the suitcase. So, you are looking down onto the top of your hat.

Now, if it is a rolled brim, you are going to do the same as you did in the crown. Fill it with rolled up socks/thin shirts, etc.

Again, if it is a rolled brim, place items around the outside. I roll virtually all of my clothing when I am packing anyway, so it is just a matter of positioning those items around the hat.

If it is a straight brim then you will want the support underneath the hat as well as on top.

Because you have filled the crown and the brim with the rolled-up items it will be firm. Therefore, you can continue to pack the rest of your clothing all around the hat and on top of it.

My husband packed his cowboy hat the same way and had no problems whatsoever.

This process works like a charm!

Cheers!

Pam

Bradford West...
Level Contributor
882 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to Pack a Hat in your suitcase

Sorry for any confusion..... the title of the April 19th Sandals Royal Hicacos review is "Absolutely Great Time at Hicacos". Same idea just different words!! :o))

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How to Pack a Hat in your suitcase

Wow.... I just wear my Tilley right from home.

Bradford West...
Level Contributor
882 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to Pack a Hat in your suitcase

Hi Steve,

I agree Tilleys are great! . Some girls don't wear Tilleys. However, there were lots of gals wearing baseball caps and they are easy to pack too! It just depends on personal preference

Enjoy the Day!

Pam

Ontario
Level Contributor
238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to Pack a Hat in your suitcase

Thanks Pamela!! This is an awesome post. We were just gonna wear our hats to the airport but now I just may pack them. Than again it might be a little fun to wear our hats!!

~2 more sleeps 'til paradise~

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How to Pack a Hat in your suitcase

Baseball caps are great during winter trips (December or January) but for other months be very carefull not to burn your ears.

Pink ears can be very painfull. It's best to have a hat with a wide brim. Learned that one by painfull experience.

Essex, England
Level Contributor
130 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to Pack a Hat in your suitcase

Sorry for my ignorance but what's a tilley?!!!

This post was very useful. I spent ages finding the right hat for my cuba holiday this year. We had a two centre holiday and because I was scared of packing it, I had to carry it with me everywhere. Predictably, as a consequence of this, I ended up leaving it at the hotel in Havana and had to buy a gruesome denim one at the beach resort for 15 cuc's!

The new, horrible hat, looks revolting in my holiday photo's (as I suspected!) so next year I will add this post to my "useful tips" Cuba file and pack it safely away!

Thank you Pamela!

Heidi

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How to Pack a Hat in your suitcase

Here you go Heidimauve....

My Tilley hat has been on 3 continents and on countless adventures and it's the first thing I grab along with my suitcase and passport. Won't leave home without it.

This is the link to the Tilley website in the UK.

http://tilleyuk.com/home.asp?countryCode=UK

And of course, here's the Canadian link.

www.tilley.com/home.asp?countryCode=Can

Essex, England
Level Contributor
130 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to Pack a Hat in your suitcase

Wow Steve

Isn't it amazing! I have had a look at the website and can't believe we have never heard of them over here? Well, obviously some people have heard of them (just not me!).

Thanks very much. Actually, I've only had a brief look but they look really nice to may be added to my own summer collection.