We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Hotetur Palma Real

ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Hotetur Palma Real

My wife and I are heading to this resort at the end of December. We are flying out of Toronto and will be spending one week there. Although we have been to several other resorts in Cuba we were wondering if anyone who has been here before has any good or bad suggestions or thoughts on this resort. Any feed back would be great.

Gibsons, B. C...
Level Contributor
978 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Hotetur Palma Real

I love the Palma Real, which I would best describe as cheap and cheerful - emphasis on the cheerful. My daughter (vegetarian) and I (not!) both love the food, esp. the bread and the fresh fruit. Breakfast is always great, and we both were able to find a good choice for both our tastes at each meal. We prefer the buffet to the a la cartes.

One warning, though - - if you are a coffee drinker, order your coffee at the bar, not the buffet, where it is not very good. And if you are a tea drinker, I suggest bringing your own bags. There is tea in Cuba, but it is not very good. The coffee, however, is wonderful! (if ordered in the bar where it is properly prepared).

The beach here is just fine, and there are several good restaurants nearby if you want to leave the resort. It is an easy walk to Josone Park.

I have stayed at 2 much more "up-market" hotels in Varadero, but still prefer the Palma Real as it is so friendly and has a nice clientele (with many repeat visitors).

Have a great time!

ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Hotetur Palma Real

Thank you and I am sure we will have a great time!

Fredericton
Level Contributor
269 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Hotetur Palma Real

Agree with Bev 100%. A great little resort, in a wonderful location.

Burlington
Level Contributor
838 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Hotetur Palma Real

Agree 100% , Clean , friendly, food ok, short walk to the beach , and great location to everything ..

Middlesex
Level Contributor
999 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Hotetur Palma Real

Have been to the PR a couple of times, its a little bit dated, but clean, the majority of the staff are fantastic, you will have a good timne.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Hotetur Palma Real

Great choice of hotel,you'll love it there.It's wonderful,and in a super location....Enjoy it,happy New Year!

dogsrule

ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Hotetur Palma Real

Does anyone remember if there are hair dryers in the rooms and if not is there normal 115 volt outlets for power

Middlesex
Level Contributor
999 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Hotetur Palma Real

Yes there are hairdryers, not very good ones, but do the job, I would dry my hair, then put the straighteners on them, failing that sit on the patio, have a nice drink, 15 mins later your hair is dry anyway.

Dont know what the outlet is for plugs as am from the UK so I bring plug adapters.

If you dont want to carry shampoo and conditioner with you in your luggage, there is a little supermarket across the road, am not too sure if they sell it in the hotel shop, but buy thier own shamppo and conditioner, its less expensive than home, plu the conditioner is fantastic, it leaves my hair just as good as the most expensive conditioners, I never take shampoo etc now to Cuba, I buy it there.

Edited: 26 December 2010, 23:25
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Hotetur Palma Real

staying there in February... what brands of beer is part of the all inclusive?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Hotetur Palma Real

I agree with most of the replys it is a great deal with a very short walk to the beach where you can walk for hours on beautiful sand . The food was okay,not great just okay . Try eating at the Varadero restaurants a few nights like Barracuda club restaruant 4-5 blocks away or the Italian place 3 blocks into town. Great day trip Cao blanco snorle & lunch with drinks on the beach. Tip the Bartender 1st day if You want to be noticed for the other 6days ...