We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Josone Park - Restaurants

Dartmouth Nova...
Level Contributor
260 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Josone Park - Restaurants

I understand there are 4 restaurants here? Can someone tell me their names and what their specialties or differences are? I've also read there are bars there too... are the restaurants/bars the same or are the bars separate.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Josone Park - Restaurants

It's a lovely park with a pond, bridges, gazebo and gardens. There are a number of restaurants there too. Mardi has the names on his insiders page. Hopefully he will respond with his link. There is a bar near the gazebo with amazing pina coladas not to be missed. I would make sure you get a chance to at least walk through this lovely park even if you don't get around to trying one of the good restaurants. We tried the restaurant in the cave and had great lobster.

I have photos of our time there under our Palma Real trip report.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Josone Park - Restaurants

Hola

The four are :

Dante's -Italian by the pond

la Campana - Cuban cuisine

La Gruta del Vino - Cave , romantic atmosphere dine by candle light , mostly skewers.

El Retiro - little more upscale , lobster specialty historical.

Mardi

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
171 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Josone Park - Restaurants

It's nice that I can actually contribute a bit instead of asking so many questions... I just returned from Palma Real and had dinner at La Campana (on recommendations from this forum) and it was wonderful. It is at the back of Josone Park - you have to go over the bridge and up some stone steps to to the left of the cave restaurant. They serve a good variety of Cuban dishes but the waiter recommended the Ropa Vieja which is a shredded beef and pork dish simmered in a light tomato sauce. It was so good... They bring a huge plate of rice and black beans, salad, and fried banana chips. From what he said this is a typical Cuban meal. Service and atmosphere were excellent. Prices are very reasonable.

There is also an Italian (Dante's) and an international restaurant in the Park. And also the Cave (can't remember the exact name). But the bartender saw me walking by one day and made me go in an check it out. It's pretty cool... It is actually built into the side of a rock. We decided on La Campana though and were very happy with it.

There are several little bars throughout the park. But they are not clubtype bars they are more like outdoor patios. It is not a huge park but it's very quaint. There were swans and ducks floating about in the water. There were also a couple of vendors up near the entrance the day I wandered around in there on my own. Very quiet and peaceful.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Josone Park - Restaurants

Did you end up trying Baracuda as well???

Mardi

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
171 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Josone Park - Restaurants

Hi Mardi, no we didn't make it to Barracuda (my friend heard the name and automatically thought seafood, no way!). We did go to Barbacoa though. Again very good food and service. With so many great restaurants in Varadero I am amazed that people who complain about the resort food don't just go offsite for dinner at least. PR's food was pretty good however. We just like a bit of variety.

Burlington
Level Contributor
840 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Josone Park - Restaurants

Dante's was amazing.. The special for 12 CUC was so worth it and they have a amazing amount of great wines to choose from

London ON.
Level Contributor
311 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Josone Park - Restaurants

Vacation-

My vote goes to La Campana, and as Lunagirl will attest, the Ropa Vieja is excellente!

Enjoy.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
500 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Josone Park - Restaurants

can you drink the water in these restaurants?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Josone Park - Restaurants

We only had bottled water as options

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Josone Park - Restaurants

La Gruta was very nice, built into the side of the rock. You can sit inside or at tables outside. It's very "atmospheric" inside with bottles etc stuck to the roof. The food was good, we had steak etc & a good selection of wine etc. We'd definitely recommend giving it a try.

Oh and yes you can drink the water but the wine is much nicer!!!