We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lactose Intolerent child

Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
Lactose Intolerent child
Save

I am currently staying at the Blau Varadero and have been chatting to a waitress here with an 8 year old lactose Intolerent little boy. She is desperate for calcium tablets for him and they are literally unavailable in Cuba for him. She isn't looking for money at all would any future visitors to the Blau be willing to bring some with them and possibly some children's multi vitamins. I am happy to provide her name etc. I have visited Cuba several times and I don't believe this lady is trying to scam anyone she literally just needs calcium for her son. Many thanks

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
17,681 posts
13 reviews
32 helpful votes
1. Re: Lactose Intolerent child
Save

Sardines, beans and lentils are readily available in Cuba and are great sources of calcium. An 8 year old would eat beans nearly every day. Her doctor would have told her that.

Nice try, though.

Camaguey, Cuba
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
15,197 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Lactose Intolerent child
Save

Also, lactose intolerant kids in Cuba have accès to goat milk, which is normally fine.

And almost all 8 years old kids I know in Cuba do not drink milk anymore. They will have yogourt (which is usually fine even when you are lactose intolerant because of the bacterias it contains) and ice cream.

I also regularly see in Camaguey soya milk enriched with calcium. It's more expensive then the bodega's milk, but available. Yesterday, I also saw Nestlee chocolate powder enriched with calcium, it can be put in water or yogourt.

There are option in Cuba to have a Calcium enriched diet, but I guess it's easier to ask tourists then to look for it...

Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Lactose Intolerent child
Save

Thank you for comments and whilst I do appreciate them I am struggling to understand what her motivation would be? She doesn't want money at all she simply requires the tablets, something that in the UK would literally be pennies.

Region of Waterloo...
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Lactose Intolerent child
Save

My guess is that it's an opening to see what else she would get with it - like a flood gate of donations from well-wishers.

Camaguey, Cuba
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
15,197 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Lactose Intolerent child
Save

I don't know what her intentions are. But many ask for something that is important, but that a tourist normally does not have, hoping that the person will feel bad and then give something else or tip more.

Do you know how many worked show you pictures of their "kids", in hope to receive something. But in fact, they don't have kids, the picture is of neighbours or nephews. My partner was laugh at by the rest of the entertainers because he refused to pretend he had kids by showing pictures of his "fake kids".

Level Contributor
1,413 posts
11 reviews
34 helpful votes
6. Re: Lactose Intolerent child
Save

Gengen,

Ha ha, remember them copying the same illnesses - asthma and nits was the best.

Nit meds was a good profit making reseller.

Have you cement yet??

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
14,857 posts
116 reviews
73 helpful votes
7. Re: Lactose Intolerent child
Save

Why do some of you have to jump in time after time again to show resort workers are a bunch of scammers ,

Maybe the person who says she has a an 8 year old lactose Intolrent little boy what do you know to say its not the case but i guess some on TA have an answer for everything when it comes to Cuba .

Camaguey, Cuba
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
15,197 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Lactose Intolerent child
Save

Gato, not all resort workers are scammers. That is not what I wrote anyway. My partner was a resort worker and was not a scammer. But those who ask strangers (clients they had for a few days of few stays and with whom they have no other relationship then a business one) are most likely scammers. The "good" people don't ask for anything.

How do I know? Because I'm fluent in Cuban Spanish but when I was traveling alone, I often did not speak to anyone, so they would talk next to me without realizing I could understand.

And now, the stories my partner tell me (lots and lots of them) just corroborate what I had seen.

Have you ever seen a restaurant staff in Canada ask a customer for something? Surely not. Then why would that be acceptable in Cuba?

PS: I also just past by a pharmacy, and he pharmacist told me that, in Camaguey anyway, they always have goat milk for the lactose intolerant kids, and was really surprise to hear that a kid in Cuba would be calcium deficient. Usually, the problem is with older women who have osteoporosis and do not eat enough calcium and sometimes, cannot feet the supplement. Not saying the hotel employee was lying, but it sure sounds strange.

Camaguey, Cuba
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
15,197 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Lactose Intolerent child
Save

Chip, yes, that was a good one!!!

And thanks, we're ok on cement. If it was not for the fuel restrictions, we (people in our bario anyway) would be doing great as a lot of things (oil, chicken without doing the line up, bread, etc) is easily available. And know others are not as lucky. Fingers crossed that things get better in 2 weeks.

Santiago de Cuba...
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
10. Re: Lactose Intolerent child
Save

Generalising, but I have noticed that vitamins and minerals are an often requested item in Cuba. I don't mean from random strangers I encounter, hoping for additional/better items instead.

Initally, I thought to myself that people were a bit medication/health obsessed. On thinking further, I noted that in the western world, a lot of people rely on supplements when they could get the vitamins and minerals from adapting their diet. Basically a similar attitude (although diet change is much easier to achieve here). However, a preference on supplements is not so noticeable because here - vitamins/supplements are all over the place and no-one needs to bother us to source them.

That said, I'd say in general, people in Cuba talk about their health a lot. I hear more conversations about blood pressure in a month, than I do in three years in the UK.

Get answers to your questions about Varadero
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.