We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can Canadians use AirBNB

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
16 posts
46 reviews
Can Canadians use AirBNB

Can Canadians book safely through AirBNB to stay in Cuba? When you try to book it comes up with reasons to travel and none of the options are tourism

I don’t know what reason to choose for travel reason. We are going to explore/ educate ourselves and relax take in the culture. Obviously AIrBNB is American but I am unsure now if a Canadian is safe to use The site for Cuba accommodations

12 replies to this topic
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
21,505 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Can Canadians use AirBNB

The most suitable is “support for the Cuban people” - but why not use an agency that doesn’t require you to make a declaration under the US OFAC rules ?

I don’t know about safe - but do you really want to have to try calling the US if there is a problem.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 08:38
Vilnius
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Can Canadians use AirBNB

Does airbnb work in Saudi?? No chance for Canadians there :)

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
8,118 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Can Canadians use AirBNB

https://www.cubaccommodation.com/

We used this Cuba based agency to arrange our casa, we emailed them our dates and they provided options to choose from.

United States
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
273 reviews
4. Re: Can Canadians use AirBNB

you can use a number of agencies but to answer the question it is safe, you state support for the cuban people and yes Canadians can use Air BNB.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,644 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Can Canadians use AirBNB

Why would you, there way over priced all in package vacation is best priced from Canada and you have more options.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 20:55
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
74 reviews
6. Re: Can Canadians use AirBNB

Is there a reason you want to use an AirBNB then just doing the all inclusive? With the cost of flights, it always seems cheaper to do the AI route for us from Calgary and the quality seems to be much higher (for the resorts we pick anyways)...

regardless, it is safe to use and if you had any issues AirBNB would refund your money. What you would do in Cuba is another story...just make sure you pick one with really good reviews!!! I am Canadian and have had no issues using AirBNB in Canada, Asia, and Mexico.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
16 posts
46 reviews
7. Re: Can Canadians use AirBNB

We use all inclusive often for Mexico, but by the time you shave off 2 days travel on a 7 day all inclusive, 5 days is not enough, as the flights to Cuba with connections are long. This happens on Cancun flights to unfortunately.

A two week vacation all inclusive is too long at one location. We want to spend time Varadero and spend a few days in Havana. So Air BNB this time to see more of the culture and combination of cities gives us more flexibility. I have never had a problem with Airbnb before but their drop down choices has no tourism choice for Cuba. (Airbnb is American)I figured it out though. Support the Cuban people is the drop down.

Edited: 12 August 2018, 22:07
Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
16 posts
46 reviews
8. Re: Can Canadians use AirBNB

Thanks you are right Support for the Cuban people is right

Edited: 12 August 2018, 22:11
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
74 reviews
9. Re: Can Canadians use AirBNB

Hopefully you find your answer .... if not, you could consider a hotel with no AI option. Havana will certainly have those and some in Varadero do as well .... out on the penninsula there is Melia Marina and in town there is the one across from Cautros Palmas (I believe it's Las Palmas and it includes breakfast).... You get some services from Cautros Palmas if I recall when I looked it up.

Thankfully in Calgary we have a direct with Sunwing, but WJ and AC are connectors and it makes for a long day. Don't disagree. Good luck!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
21,505 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Can Canadians use AirBNB

As mentioned, there are lots of ways to book casas particulares in Cuba without using a US based booking agency. (And in general a casa in Havana gives better value for money than a hotel.)

Edited: 12 August 2018, 22:48
Reply to: Can Canadians use AirBNB
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted