We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort help please: Sanctuary at Grand Memories or Blau

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Resort help please: Sanctuary at Grand Memories or Blau

Hi all

Booked into Paradisus Princesa in early Sept and worried about the really bad reviews that I have seen recently. Thinking of switching to Blau or Sanctuary (the price is similar as Blau only has superior rooms for our dates). Would be grateful for your thoughts on which to good with. Two girl friends travelling (30s) and our main priorities are nice pool/beach, food/drinks and adults only.

Many thanks all

17 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort help please: Sanctuary at Grand Memories or Blau

To clarify we were booked on the regular side for Princesa (the royal service is out of our budget)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort help please: Sanctuary at Grand Memories or Blau

I would pick the Blau hands down without a second thought :)

We LOVED the Melia Varadero (level upgrade) .... doesn't meet your criteria as It's not an adults only; we said we would never do one again after the Melia Las Antilles becuase it was super boring lol

Could also consider Melia Las Americas, but honestly just pick the Blau if you are concerned with the Paradisus.

Alot of people mention on here reviews waiver when you get into slow season... what types of complaints are you seeing?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort help please: Sanctuary at Grand Memories or Blau

I just read the post about closures at the Blau .. definately worth looking into, not only for the Blau but any resort in Cuba. This is the down time and when stuff like this starts to happen. Hence my wonder about the complaints at the Paradisus.

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort help please: Sanctuary at Grand Memories or Blau

@Kim C many thanks for your response, I really appreciate it. We like the look of Blau and it has a lot of good reviews.

The kinds of complaints ranged from getting food poisoning, awful food, pool not being clean and getting some infection, not getting towels, property being run down etc. The last few reviews are particularly negative and I just don't want to take any chances

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort help please: Sanctuary at Grand Memories or Blau

I have emailed Blau to ask about closures of services so hopefully will hear back from them

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort help please: Sanctuary at Grand Memories or Blau

Some of those reviews are reasons why I personally am very cautious to stay at any Memories resort, no matter what tier they say it is. But that is my own personal opinion and I am sure many on here disagree!! I have only been to Varadero twice, but I research it to death the first time after hearing all of the 'horror stories' of Cuba ... Cuba is my FAVE place on earth.. pays to do your research, as you are! Always have an open mind and go with the flow :)

Good luck!!

Edited: 03 August 2018, 20:57
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort help please: Sanctuary at Grand Memories or Blau

The Blau was my #1 choice our first trip, but it was sold out. This was back when it was not an adults only hotel. I was at the resort beside it sad I wasn't there having fun lol

Not sure what led us to the Melia Varadero the next time, maybe the Blau was sold out again (see a trend here? lol) but we loved it that much that we will be back!

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort help please: Sanctuary at Grand Memories or Blau

The reviews I mentioned were about Paradisus Princesa, not Grand Memories

Nice to hear you had a good time and that you love Cuba! I am excited about our trip (just bit worried with the recent reviews but you are right about keeping an open mind!)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort help please: Sanctuary at Grand Memories or Blau

@bright ... I know they were about Princessa, but those reviews aren't uncommon to see on the Memories properties either, including no toilet paper lol That was for Memories and Grand Memories, can't say I have recently looked at the Santucary ones. It's just a theme and one brand I tend to stay away from. Again only my opinion, lots love them! We love Melias!

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort help please: Sanctuary at Grand Memories or Blau

Ah i see what you meant now. Yeah I did think Melias were good and was disappointed by the Paradisus Princesa reviews as was really looking forward to that hotel

Reply to: Resort help please: Sanctuary at Grand Memories or Blau
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted