We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carrying Cash Around

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Carrying Cash Around

Since Americans have to pay for everything with cash, is it best to leave in the hotel safe or keep it on your person? Are pickpockets a big problem?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carrying Cash Around

I would not carry any large amount of cash period.. Only take what you need, make use of the hotel safe for the rest your valuables/jewellry..

Pickpocketing is a common occurence in Cuba, But simply being smart will avoid this problem..

Edited: 21 August 2011, 22:35
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carrying Cash Around

Take a look at this thread regarding crimes/scams...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147270-c140774/Cuba:…

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carrying Cash Around

The above thread had a lot of common sense in it.

My wife had her wallet stolen in the Buenos Aires subway because she was carrying aorund her big overstuffed purse and hadn't even closed it properly. I hate to call her foolish -I've done foolish things, too - but she was That same crime routinely happens here in South Florida in supermarkets in nice areas

In Cuba or anywhere else, get a money belt like the one I have. It loops around your neck, under your collar, and goes down under your shirt and undershirt. It makes you unpickpocketable unless the crook manages to pull your clothes off! Keep only as much cash in your purse or pocket as you will need on the spot and keep the rest in your money belt. Leave your valuables at home nomatter where you travel. My wife puts her rings in our safe deposit box before we leave on trips.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,606 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carrying Cash Around

"... Since Americans have to pay for everything with cash..."

=======================

That's false.

Have a read though this - especially at the end of the article - and come back with any further questions...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147270-c109329/Cuba:…

Cheers,

Terry

London, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Carrying Cash Around

Hi - I was there a few days ago and did a lot of walking around the city. I did not feel it dangerous or had any problems with my bag. I did take with me just what I needed and left the rest in the safe at the hotel.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carrying Cash Around

Hello LondonStudy and all other readers,

A good way that I found out for making a pickpocket noticable is:::

When you have your wallet or cash ( large amounts or small amounts ) in your pockets, put some elastics around it then insert into pocket.

This makes it so you notice if someone is trying to remove it from your pocket, just by the friction it creates while rubbing on your pocket as it is being removed.

Try this and you will see what I mean. Go ahead, I'll wait. LOL

I did this in CUBA and had no problems anywhere.

May feel like a bit of a nusance taking out cash and removing elastic, but is a way to keep your cash with you and not being stolen.

HOWEVER, MOST Cubans are respectful and work hard for your travel/tourist dollar and would rather sell you something rather then steal it.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carrying Cash Around

May be as my English is not good (not being my mother tongue) I feel hesitant (and disagree with) to consider pickpocketing of a “common occurrence in Cuba”. I guess I will have to look in the dictionary the word “common” in this context; but if compared with other capital cities at touristic destinations in Latin America (and beyond) may be I will feel happy with the word “occasionally”.

No, no need to carry cash around except from the one you plan to spend while around; and read terry’s post.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Havana
Level Contributor
404 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carrying Cash Around

I have been going to Havana for the last 8 years..

I have spent approximately 85 days in Cuba so far this year..

All of it in Havana in the Old/Central/Vadado areas..

Is there pickpocketing.. of course there is, the same as in any big city..

Simple precautions will protect you..

Dont have the money hanging out of your pocket.. Yes I have seen this on a few occations..

Women keep your purse closed and with you..

Dont carry all your money on you.. that is what the Hotel safes are for .. use them..

Read the threads mention above..

Have a great time in a very interesting city..

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,461 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carrying Cash Around

I agree Voy, Not that it dosen't happen, but if the word spreads around all of a sudden , the place is full of pickpockets and thieves.

Not the case.

Every once in a while ,take a look around and recognize the situation at hand.

Most people on vacation are not 100% Paranoid!

Some where in the middle should do it!

Salud!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carrying Cash Around

Carrying a lot of cash around anywhere is risky. Unfortunately, if you're an American in Cuba, where your credit/debit cards are useless, and if you don't have a room safe, you really have no choice, so a money belt is a necessity.

There are pickpockets everywhere. I had my wallet pickpocketed with $100 in it decades ago, when I was a student at a boarding school run by the Quakers! My wife foolishly left her purse half open in the Buenos Aires subway and her wallet disappeared - but that exact same crime routinely happens in supermarkets here in Miami Beach.