We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

school of Spanish - any good ones?

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
school of Spanish - any good ones?

I'm going to Cuba to improve my Spanish. Would you recommend any good schools in Havana?

Thank you!

Old Havana
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Old Square (Plaza Vieja)
Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Plaza de la Catedral
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Fabrica de Arte Cubano
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,257 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: school of Spanish - any good ones?

How long will you be there? If you're there for a month or more, than it seems that the program in the University of Havana is really good. Inscriptions are every 1 Monday of the month.

If you're there for a short stay, maybe a private tutor would be more appropriate as it would not be too expensive and you would learn faster.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: school of Spanish - any good ones?

If you don't mind me asking... any particular reason you chose Cuba?

Cheers,

Terry

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: school of Spanish - any good ones?

Why Cuba? I used to have a Cuban teacher when I lived in Poland and I just loved his stories from home. He really got me ''hooked'' on the idea of visiting it one day.

I'm in Cuba for 5 weeks. Would love to do the university course but I'll be there from 17th of the month and the one at university starts at 1st Monday of the month :-(

I'd rather attend a school than a private tutor as I think this way, I will meet some people (I'm in Cuba on my own).

Thank you for your reply.

Edited: 20 October 2010, 23:58
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: school of Spanish - any good ones?

One more thing - the schools I am considering are in Miramar district. Do you think it is better to rent a place close to the school or is it relatively easy to get from ie Habana Vieja via public transport?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,257 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: school of Spanish - any good ones?

My advice would be not to rely on public transport to get anywhere in Havana... It's not exactly known to be reliable... And for a long stay, I think you will be more confortable renting a casa in Miramar and taking public transportation or a cab when you need to get to Habana Vieja.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: school of Spanish - any good ones?

Where you stay depends on how intensive your course is. If you're in class every day then the commute from "downtown" out to Miramar would be an absolute pain unless you had another 20 CUC/day in your budget for a taxi. (With money everything is easy, same as anywhere...)

Staying in Miramar (in my opinion) quickly gets dull... it's a long way from any of the usual action and with few exceptions lacks the vibe that makes Havana what it is. If you were only going to class a couple of times a week then it might be a good place for the first week or so to get acclimatised, but after that I'd say get your butt downtown...

Cheers,

Terry

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
404 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: school of Spanish - any good ones?

You do understand that if you are in Cuba for 5 weeks that you will have to renew your Visa while you are there..

The visa is good for 30 days and then can be renwed for another 30 days..

Unless you are a Canadian .. Then is 90 days and renewable for another 90 days..

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: school of Spanish - any good ones?

Thank you. Yes, I know that I'll have to renew my visa there.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: school of Spanish - any good ones?

If booking an official school no need to renew the visa. It will be done by the school.

But still if I were you I would consider the private tutor way. Some of them do offer the way to meet many others (travelers or not); and even some of them have a dual presence at both scenarios..if you know what I mean.

Toronto
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: school of Spanish - any good ones?

Hi, I will be going to Havana in Nov for the same reason, to study Spanish. Do you have a sense for how much private classes cost per hour and how I might find private tutors that aren't part of a large, expensive school?

Thanks,