We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels/Casas in Havana that allow both tourists & Nationals

Sarnia, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels/Casas in Havana that allow both tourists & Nationals

I have gone to Cuba dozens of times but always to a small village on the other end of the island. The 70 year old grandfather of my Godchildren (and his wife) will be going to Havana in November to receive a special ACAA (artist's) award at the Convention Palace. Is there a Casa/hotel there that will accept both Cubans and non-nationals to stay together, at a reasonable rate? And, as at say, for example, a hotel in Holguin, do Cubans pay a different rate? I do not need a luxury hotel, as I am accustomed to living a simple life as does the average Cuban, but I would like to treat my family for a few nights stay together, rather than staying at different locations

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
589 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels/Casas in Havana that allow both tourists & Nationals

There are no longer restrictions on foreigners/Cubans lodging together at hotels/CP's which pay/charge in CUC in Cuba. All pay in CUC. Since this is your family we're talking about we'll assume that all's on the up & up and no need to elaborate further on the issues for certain Cubans who frequently visit hotels in diff't company and are therefore reluctant to be a registered guest. A completely different issue, by the sounds of your post.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
10,985 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels/Casas in Havana that allow both tourists & Nationals

Any hotel and casa particular in CUC will accept both Cubans and tourists unless they suspect prostitution. It has always been the case for casas, and for hotel, they started accepting Cubans in April of 2008.

Cubans will pay the same rates than tourist does, in casas and hotel, unless they can get a special deal with their employer or an agency like Cubacan for example.

Sarnia, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels/Casas in Havana that allow both tourists & Nationals

Thank you for your prompt replies and usefull information.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,521 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels/Casas in Havana that allow both tourists & Nationals

One small suggestion... the convention centre is way out in Miramar, a western suburb of Havana. You might have a lot more fun staying closer to "downtown" and all the usual sights and simply taxi out to convention centre...

Cheers,

Terry

PS Are there still submarine races under the Blue Water Bridge?

Sarnia, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels/Casas in Havana that allow both tourists & Nationals

Hahahaha Terry! Yes, there are. How did you know? Thanks for the tip about where to stay. My town is Gibara. I have gone there dozens of times, so La Habana may be a little daunting. However, my Spanish is good and my Cuban "brother" is a retired history professor, so I will have my own private tour guide. Any recommendations for Hotels/Casas ? I'm no princessa, can live on arroz con frijoles, don't want high end but don't want a hole either.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels/Casas in Havana that allow both tourists & Nationals

Some fairly nice hotels at reasonable rates could be Park View on Parque Central or Deauville on Malecón and Galiano.

Even cheaper options: Lido, Caribbean and Lincoln.

There's a million casas in Havana. Try someone like Jorge (jorgeguide2004(at)yahoo.es).

I highly recommend not to stay out by the convention centre, but instead get a good feel for Havana by staying in Habana Vieja.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,521 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels/Casas in Havana that allow both tourists & Nationals

The submarine races and that fabulous chip truck... those were the days... haha...

Here's a few casa suggestions:

cuba-junky.com/havana/havana-casa-particular…

The casa is way better bang for your buck of course, but sometimes Cubans seem to like crappy hotels even better than a nice casa... some kind of a slight jealously thing going on perhaps and a hotel - even a simple one - is somehow more "exotic."

Research the Deauville and the Park View and see what kind of a rate you can get...

Cheers,

Terry

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,521 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels/Casas in Havana that allow both tourists & Nationals

DT, are you still getting the big commission cheques from the Deauville and the Park View? I just got mine today... haha...

Honestly, what a weird coincidence...

Cheers,

Terry

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels/Casas in Havana that allow both tourists & Nationals

Yes, 1 CUC for every 10 bookings coming from me. Next time I am in Havana (which should have been yesterday by the way if the word 'kidney stone' had not entered my vocabulary this week) there'll be a cool 5'er waiting for me at each reception.

Seriously.... almost too odd.

Sarnia, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels/Casas in Havana that allow both tourists & Nationals

You guys crack me up. I'm just a Gibarenian, country hick, living in sleepy, pretty, quiet Gibara, standing in line every day for bread, snorkelling, working in the soup kitchen, leading exercise classes for the neighbour women in the streets, teaching English,cleaning rice and beans, playing with the kids. Pura Vida. Gotta learn from you big city dudes. haha. I will take your advise seriously and appreciate it very much.