We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

newspaper

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
newspaper

is there a place in Havana where I can buy a newspaper with internatiomal

news in either french or english

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: newspaper

Short answer.... NO.

Other than picking up a copy of Granma, in either Spanish or English, there's no chance of getting foreign news other than sitting in an internet cafe and paying 6 CUC per hour to read your local paper online.

Oslo
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: newspaper

Yes internet is possible - be in mind its only dial-up. Very slow. Its really for mails only.

And the locals says Granma is cheaper than toiletpaper anyway. Bring some newspapers from home :)

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,274 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: newspaper

One of the strangest things is ,when we return from two weeks on holiday in Cuba, we discover the world has still spun still there and sometimes, no news was good news.

Tampere, Finland
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: newspaper

Can't remember any international newspapers been sold there, you could try the bookstore that is at the beginning of Obispo street near Floridita or ask the concierge of a 5* hotel.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: newspaper

Well for sure, you won't find the Miami Herald. :o))

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: newspaper

one of the things that surprised me about Cuba (after experiencing Communism with East Berlin next door and seeing the immigration booths at Varadero airport that could have come straight out of the East Berlin border crossings) was they have no problems with tourists bringing in their own newspapers even though you cant buy foreign newspapers in Cuba. I pass mine on to resort staff or friends who gladly take them with no fear whatsoever that they could get in trouble.

Just part of the complexity that Cuba is.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: newspaper

thank you everybody

I won't look for something that does not exists

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: newspaper

Granma is one of the funniest newspapers on earth. The day after the tsunami the front page was a photo of Gabriel Garcia Marquez doing a speech at the university of Habana. Day after Obama won the election they had Raul shaking hands with some Venezuelan minister of something.

I am myself somewhat of a news and newspaper junky, and it's fabulous to do a cold turkey in Cuba. But if you return to civilization after two months in Cuba you'll be pretty lost on current events!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: newspaper

LOL DT, I'm also a news junkie and going without a fix for a couple of weeks or longer is a funny experience.

Hell, when the tsunami hit Banda Aceh on Dec 26, 2004, it took over 10 days before I first heard about it in Cuba. That's when you really understand how severe the flow of news in Cuba is controlled by the Cuban Gov't.

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: newspaper

Don , I never really looked at Granma but sounds like Neue Deutschland was in East Gerrmany.

America lands man on the and Neue Deutschland might have something about pig production up 2% as main headline ....