We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking safety in Havana

Western Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
387 reviews
Save Topic
Walking safety in Havana

How safe is walking in the evening in Havana. I am particularly interested in the Vedado area and the Malecon.

dean in Canada

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking safety in Havana

Havana is one of the safest big cities in all of the Caribbean, Mexico and Central/South America.

That said, Havana is the very same as any complex city... it has its bad areas and its good areas. Like any big city it needs to be respected... you must use common sense and street smarts ALWAYS.

(You wouldn't walk down dark streets in the sketchy side of town after too many cocktails in any Western Canadian city so you certainly wouldn't do it Havana where you have the added complication of obviously being a rich foreign tourist.)

Most of the Malecon is fine. In fact the whole thing is a bit of a party on the weekends. Vedado is by and large a good neighbourhood too.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking safety in Havana

Where in Vedado? Vedado is a large neighborhood and there are certainly some areas worse than others.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Havana
Level Contributor
382 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking safety in Havana

Keep to the main streets.. dont carry any flashy things ..eg necklaces, watches, cameras, or flash money around ..

The Malecon is pretty safe, but getting into a group of people you dont know could cause problems..

I spend a lot of time in those areas but I still don't get drunk and foolish when I am there..

It's basicly the same as any other city.. Be street smart.. If there is a dark street with no lights .. take another street.. If there is a group of people actting like fools. Go some place else..

Now after all that .. I have to say that I feel a lot safer in Havana then I ever did in Calgary or Toronto..

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,330 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking safety in Havana

I guess if you're wearing an avispas ball cap( santiago de cuba),you're probably going to have some fun.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking safety in Havana

I too feel very safe walking around Havana in the evening but many streets are poorly lit compared with what you are use to in Canadian cities. As mentioned prior, use common sense and if you don't have a good feeling about the route ahead then turn around and take another route or arrange for a taxi.

Also, secure your wallet and always be aware of your surroundings as pick pockets do operate in Havana. I personally had my pocket picked there in the past, and it was during a brief moment in which I had let my guard down.

Western Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking safety in Havana

Voyhavana, this isthe link to the CP we are staying at in Havana. Is this a safe area?

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147271-d634045…

Dean in Canada

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking safety in Havana

That's great casa in a quiet neighbourhood an easy taxi ride or medium walk from lots of stuff.

Cheers,

Terry

8. Re: Walking safety in Havana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2010, 09:46