We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel bookings: Legit website?

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Hotel bookings: Legit website?

Can someone please recommend a website successfully used for hotel bookings in and around Havana? Thanks very much.

Toronto
Level Contributor
294 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel bookings: Legit website?

Since you are from Toronto, you should use a Canadian website. I always use Selloffvacations. This is Canada's largest travel agency and is covered by insurance in case of default.

When you get to the main page click your departure city, your destination (havana) and the date. This will open up to six pages of charter package tours. They will be presented in order of price, lowest to highest. Click on the hotel name to get a description. These prices will include airfare, hotel for the duration and transfers from the airport. Taxes and fuel surcharges are extra. Havana flights are Tuesdays and Thursdays.

There are three tour operators travelling to Havana that Selloffvacations books. Air Canada Vacations is the most expensive and flies direct to Havana (3 hours). Hola Sun is a little less expensive and also flies direct to Havana using Cubana Airlines. At the last minute, about three or two weeks before departure, Hola will cut the price quite a bit as they don't want to end up with empty seats.

And then there is Sunwing. I have travelled many times with Sunwing and found them to be excellent and very reasonable. Their planes are brand new Boeing 737's, they book about 20 different hotels in Havana from 5 star to 2.5 stars, and you have a tour rep visiting your hotel. Their prices start off very low at the brochure rate and cut several times about 2 months before the trip and then sometimes cut very low a few weeks before the trip. Right now the June prices are very low. For example Kholy Bosque (not the greatest hotel but not that bad either) with breakfast is $385.00cdn plus tax for airfare and hotel. The packages at the 5 star hotels are around $500.00cdn.

The reason Sunwing prices are so low is that they only fly to Varadero airport and bus you on a coach to Havana, about 1.5 to 2 hours. I don't mind this and it saves several hundred dollars as they can fill their plane with people from several destinations. The prices should drop even further as Hola has drastically cut their prices for June 12th to $338.00 for Tropicoco 2* all inclusive. Sunwing has not reacted yet but they may.

Take a look at www.selloffvacations.com . They make it so easy now. You just get your tickets e-mailed to you and print them on your own computer. If you want you can go to Sunwing web site and using your booking number, print the e-tickets.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel bookings: Legit website?

CoolestBreeze,

Thanks very much for your answer. I have indeed used selloffvacations before but this time I have purchased a ticket for the flight only (a while ago). Now I am looking to book hotel separately as I will need it only for the portion of my trip. On this trip I am planning to stay at a casa particular as well as the hotel. There are many choices for hotel bookings but I am wondering if anyone can recommend a website used for their booking in the past? Thanks again.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Havana
Level Contributor
382 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel bookings: Legit website?

I have used http://www.vacacionartravel.com/ for the last 6 trips to Havana and found that they have very good rates and respond with a confirmation within a couple of day..

I can fully recommend them..

Brockville, Canada.
Level Contributor
936 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel bookings: Legit website?

I used Sun Travel in Toronto last time, and they beat everybody's prices. Their website is www.mycubatrip.com this was the first time I had ever booked online and had absolutely no problems.

5. Re: Hotel bookings: Legit website?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 15:46