We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Caribe Club Ancon or Club Playa Giron in Cienfuegos

Toronto
3 posts
Save Topic
Gran Caribe Club Ancon or Club Playa Giron in Cienfuegos

We are just about to buy a last minute package to one of these. Does anyone have any recommendations? I thought it would be a good area to hang out in .... to relax and hopefully hear some Cuban music.... do some snorkelling.... Any thoughts? Thanks.

ps. never been to Cuba or the Carribbean or to any type of resort for that matter... totally new at this.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Caribe Club Ancon or Club Playa Giron in Cienfuegos

Hi Tahloolah, since you say you're a novice at this, I'm going to stick my neck out and hope my advice isn't too annoying. I've looked at the last minute prices for both of those places, and I think they're overpriced. I haven't been, but I've friends who have, and they would never go to a 2 star hotel again. For the same price, or less, you can go to the Santa Lucia area, with 3-3.5 star hotels (Club Amigo Mayanabo, Club Amigo Caracol, Gran Club Santa Lucia, and 3+Brisas Santa Lucia). I was told the beach in Cienfuegos is very poor, wheresas Santa Lucia is fantastic. Mayanabo often sells for less than $600 from Toronto, and is all renovated, good food, new chef and kitchen.

For less than $900 from Toronto you can go to Maritim Costa Verde in Holguin, an excellent 4 star, another place I'd personally recommend to friends. Melia Cayo Coco (Santa Clara), Barcelo Cayo Largo, and Los Corales(Santiago de Cuba) all have fairly decent user reviews and regularly sell for less than$850 from Toronto. Even if you're on a budget, consider spending an extra 100-200 to go from a 2 star to a 3 or 4 star. In my experience, it's well worth it!!

Toronto
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Caribe Club Ancon or Club Playa Giron in Cienfuegos

thanks Toronto gal.... I do appreciate the advice. But it's too late. I booked last night and we're going to Club Ancon. I'm sure that you are right, but we had to make a decision yesterday and now it's done. I'll keep your comments for future reference. Thanks....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Caribe Club Ancon or Club Playa Giron in Cienfuegos

Having said what I did, the sun is just as warm at a 2 star, the people are as friendly and the drinks are as cold as at a 4 star! Hope you have a great time!

Canada
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Caribe Club Ancon or Club Playa Giron in Cienfuegos

I just returned from Playa Ancon in January and have some nice photos of the beach.........Since I'm new to the forum don't know if I can post them but I can surely email them.

Regards, Maxxycat

caribbean
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Caribe Club Ancon or Club Playa Giron in Cienfuegos

Playa ancon is located in Trinidad not cienfuegos and from there you can visit all the attractions around the city, don't worry you chose the best of the two options, enjoy your stay.

Peterborough
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Caribe Club Ancon or Club Playa Giron in Cienfuegos

We stayed at a 2+ in Veradero and it was more than satisfactory. Water and Ice good, food repetitive but tasty enough and we never had a bad day. The whole pace was clean as a whistle. Beach was the same, rum was the same. Don't worry about it. Just don't expect perfect things and you will be fine.

montreal
Level Contributor
874 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Caribe Club Ancon or Club Playa Giron in Cienfuegos

In Ancon the rooms are nice, the food choice is small but very good, no wine with meal though, lots and lots of Canadian Italiens, beach is very nice. Try to get a room in newer section. Airport Cienfuegos is terrible. No ac, tiny, etc.

Have a good vacation.

montreal
Level Contributor
874 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Caribe Club Ancon or Club Playa Giron in Cienfuegos

Forgot to tell you that the weather is the best at this time of the year , warm warm, sunny and the best in Cuba.