We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varadero vs Holguin Anyone been to both?

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
110 posts
53 reviews
35 helpful votes
Varadero vs Holguin Anyone been to both?

Anyone been to both Varadero and to Holguin? What are the comparions, and what did you think of both? Thanks

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
35 reviews
96 helpful votes
1. Re: Varadero vs Holguin Anyone been to both?

Hmm, ok this is a little tough. I have been to both but have a soft spot for Holguin. I felt that Varadero was more touristy and Holguin is still country and more "Cuba". In Holguin it seems easier to get to know the locals and it's a very relaxed atmosphere. It is also more green and mountainous there (despite the drought). Holguin holds something like 30% of the islands vegetation and is also known to be warmer. The beaches can be very nice depending on where you are staying and the snorkelling is abundant.

Varadero on the other hand does have more action going on. There are more disco's to go to so more nightlife. There is also the benefit of being close to Havana. It does have the better beach as depending where you are you can walk and walk. There are no reefs right off the beach but you can get tours to snorkell.

Can't think of more right now. Ask if you have more questions!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
110 posts
53 reviews
35 helpful votes
2. Re: Varadero vs Holguin Anyone been to both?

thank you...I like to meet the people more than the nightlife...I want to swim with dolphins (although my travelling companion is from Sask and doesn't do water..) Holguin is how far from Havanna? Would like to check that out one day...

I am more into beaches, snorkling, scuba, swimming and just nice cantinas to have a few...kind of laid back...

I am just waiting for the next cheap deal to book...How far is Holguin to Havannna, and is it difficult to go there for an overnight trip? How long by air and how much?

Thanks...appreciate your input...

Level Contributor
84 posts
3. Re: Varadero vs Holguin Anyone been to both?

have a look at www.brisasguardalavaca.com

you can do a tour to Havanna from Guardalavaca don't know how much that is.

Santiago de Cuba is also a very interesting city to visit.

that you can do by bus from Guardalavaca!

quebec
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Varadero vs Holguin Anyone been to both?

hey varadero is a long long beach.....guardalavaca has shorter beaches...but better for snorkeling...nicer countryside..

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
110 posts
53 reviews
35 helpful votes
5. Re: Varadero vs Holguin Anyone been to both?

thanks for all the insights...think it will be Holigan...like the snorkling...

I got my passport on Monday, but my friend still hasn't received hers even though we applied the same day...We don't want to book til we have it in her hot little hand...

So thanks for all the input....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
101 reviews
157 helpful votes
6. Re: Varadero vs Holguin Anyone been to both?

Just got back from Maritim Costa Verde. As others have said, beach is not as nice as Varadero, but fish swim around you right off the beach at the Maritim(also Playa Costa Verde and Playa Pesquero share the beach.) Beach is not as nice but the VIEW, WOW, the water in the cove at Playa Pesquero is just like in the brochure, 30 colours of green and blue, with hills off in the distance. I've never enjoyed just swimming in the warm water (it's protected there) and looking at the scenery as much. The staff at MCV are fantastic, best run hotel I've been to! Everyone smiles, no need to tip to get service, best attitude among staff I've experienced. Warmer then V, too.

Cranbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
668 posts
29 reviews
50 helpful votes
7. Re: Varadero vs Holguin Anyone been to both?

Hi Lizziebordenis - Hmmm. We have been to Varadero and Holguin and like both. I think they both have a certain appeal. Holguin is a little quieter. The only reason we chose Varadero again is we wanted to go to Havana and travel from Holguin to Havana would probably be expensive as you have to fly - in a big Russian Helicopter, I think. We saw them from Sol De Luna where we stayed in Holguin. We did go to Holguin City to a Cigar Factory as well as on a tour to Santiago De Cuba. They were both great - We would return to Holguin or Varadero in a heartbeat. It just depends what you are looking for - Varadero, as someone else mentioned is a lot more geared for tourisits, the roads are better, etc. But Holguin is a real education - Hope you have a great time - wherever you decide

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
35 reviews
96 helpful votes
8. Re: Varadero vs Holguin Anyone been to both?

Hi. Havanna is about 900 miles away but you can take a day tour from Guardalavaca for 199.00 (U.S.) pesos. It is a neat little flight. They pick you up at 6:00am and you are back to your hotel around 11:00pm. I love the Brisas Guardalavaca because it is RIGHT on the ocean and the oceanview rooms are amazing. The hotel is walking distance to some things such as the open air market, some local shopping and restaurants. The staff is great there as well. I think that someone posted their website for you www.brisasguardalavaca.com

Cambridge,Ontario
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
9. Re: Varadero vs Holguin Anyone been to both?

I think that you will like Holguin, the Brias is very nice.

The diving is great in this area. Three dive shops up and down

the beach. One near the Club Amigo.

I have been in the area 5x last year. Travelled to Varadero

the last 10 years but still love Holguin area. Any questions let

me know. Kurt

ottawa,ontario
Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
20 helpful votes
10. Re: Varadero vs Holguin Anyone been to both?

if you go to holguin stay at the luna mares.I have been to cuba 6 times and this hotel has the best beach by far