We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of buying things in Cuba

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
180 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
cost of buying things in Cuba

I was just wondering what the general costs of items are in Cuba. I know that the Canadian dollar is worth about 24 pesos. Can someone give me an example of say liquor or souveniers at a local market?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,355 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of buying things in Cuba

brooker32

You are correct in the conversion rate for the peso, however tourist's in Cuba use the convertable peso or CUC'S. The conversion rate varies from day to day. When we were in Holguin in Mar/Apr/06 the rate was 1CUC was about $1.30 CDN. so $100 CDN got you roughly 76 or 77 CUC's. Prices vary as well for different goods. Can't really tell you general what things cost, it depends on what your buying. Just a example a t-shirt will run you about 10 - 15 CUC's depending on where you get them. Hope this helps. When you going, and where are you staying. Anyway have a great trip and enjoy.

Cheers

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of buying things in Cuba

Brooker:

For daily change rates you may check www.bancopopulardeahorro.com

Keep in mind that there are two currencies circulating: CUP (Cuban non convertible pesos) and CUC (cuban convertible pesos)

1 cuc = 24 cup

The majority of the services you will request and/or you will be offered will be priced in CUC

If you post some of the items you are thinking about to buy, I could help you with some average pricing…

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
180 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cost of buying things in Cuba

Bergerman....we are not going until next winter sometime.....we just did Disney in Florida back in December. But I was just looking for some general info on costs there. I'm glad you mentioned about the conversion. I thought the CUC and peso were the same. So this is more like Canadians like us buying US dollars.

The Great White...
Level Contributor
993 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cost of buying things in Cuba

I was in Cuba in January and this is what I paid for some items in Cuban Convertable pesos.

At the market: Baseball caps $10, cheaper quality hats $5, bracelets $1 to $5, t shirts $10, maracas $1 to $3, paintings approx 8 X 10 $10, lots of small items such as carvings, wooden trinket boxes, mini bottles of rum in wooden stands, ashtrays, etc...$1 to $5. Leather photo albums of different sizes. $5 to $20.

Cigarettes $2 pack at the hotel, $1 at the airport, and I think $1 at the market.

Lunch at Dantes in Josone Park for 3 people..under $20. including 1 drink, 1 pop and 1 water.

$10 cover charge to get in the Mambo Club...all drinks included.