We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canadian getting married in Cuba!! insure of what to do??

canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
14 helpful votes
canadian getting married in Cuba!! insure of what to do??

I am getting married on April 22 at Sirenis La Salina and I have been told that I must send my and my fiances passports plus information stating that this is our first marriage. I have been told this must be sent to the Cuban consulate in Montreal to be translated into spanish and it costs 160.00 for every page plus an extra 35.00 if I dont appear in person. I have never been married before and I am new to this. Is this true and then must I forward the information to the wedding co-ordinator at the hotel?Any help would be greatly appreciated

BC
Level Contributor
22 posts
1. Re: canadian getting married in Cuba!! insure of what to do??

Hi jillian22

Getting married in another country can be quite time consuming and difficult. My husband and I got married last year and ended going to Jamaica where English was the first language. We weren't required to have anything translated.

If you booked your trip through a travel agent, have your agent do all the leg work and research to help you. Email the wedding coordinator at the resort to get more information.

There are a lot of websites that assist with destination weddings. Try using google and in quotes "destination weddings" cuba

This should give you a ton of websites on cuban weddings.

Good luck and congratulations!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
31 reviews
206 helpful votes
2. Re: canadian getting married in Cuba!! insure of what to do??

We were married in Dominican Republic January 2006. I didn't find the leg work very hard, but we wanted a simple wedding. We only had our two girls plus 2 guests.

You need to contact the Cuban Embassy here in Canada. They will tell your the documents you need.

In Domininican Republic, we needed a paper stating we were both single. This was done right at the embassy in Montreal. Be careful that this is done at the right date, because for us it couldn't be more than 30 days old on the date of our wedding, so when we did it in October, they put a december date.

Next we gave the embassy our passeports and birth certificates for them to translat in spanish and authenticate. All these papers costs us about 550$ US.

We then e-mailed the wedding coordinator at the resort these papers. Keep every email they send you and make copies of these emails to bring with you.

Bring all original papers to the ressort and make photocopies. Once at the resort, you should meet the coordinator to choose the place to get married, the reception, the flowers, music, photograph...

When we returned, it took about 3 months to get our wedding certificate. We then took it back to the embassy to have it authenticated (costs about 75$ US), then we took it to an authorized spanish translator (authorized by the Directeur de l'État Civil du Quebec). That's who gives the birth, death and wedding certificates in Quebec. This translation costs about 45$. With this we sent it to Directeur de l'État Civil du Quebec to have it added in the resistry of our province. At this point, our government knows we were married. We then filed out a form to receive our Quebec wedding certificate at a cost of 15$. We received a semi-authenticate wedding certificate because it is based on another document. That's normal.

Including the 300$ we sent on the judge at the resort, our total fees were about 1000$.

Depending on how big a group you are and on what type of wedding you want, contacting the wedding coordinator by email will get some things done. You may prepare her for the amount of guests, where you can have your wedding dinner, photographs available, music choice if any...

We had a simple wedding loaded with fun. I was up to my knees in the ocean to take photos. My dress was wet and dirty, but who cares. We were only six, so no need to take the fixed wedding dinner choice. We chose a restaurant at the meeting with the wedding coordinator. Can you believe we had chicken wings as an entrée! We had no photograph but our friends took over 200 photos of our wedding. We even went to show all dressed up. Your wedding will be what you want. It's a beautiful choice to get married in Cuba. Something many will wish they had done. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Hope this helps! and CONGRATS!

BC
Level Contributor
22 posts
3. Re: canadian getting married in Cuba!! insure of what to do??

Hi

Here is the website for the Cuban embassy:

embacu.cubaminrex.cu/Default.aspx?tabid=1191

LFS
Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
4. Re: canadian getting married in Cuba!! insure of what to do??

I was married in Cuba in February and it was really quite easy what we had to do. First of all check the website for your hotel line or travel company and it should give you the basic details. We were married at a Sol Melia hotel and the website gave tons of info as well they have a Canadian rep in Toronto who does most of the leg work.

We simply had to photocopy our passports and the passports of our witnesses (maybe the birth certificates, I don't remember) with no translation required and then faxed them to the rep in Toronto who then faxed them to the wedding co-ordinator in Cuba.

Also check this webiste for more details.

http://www.shinetravel.ca/Welcome.htm

Temiskaming Shores...
Level Contributor
188 posts
3 reviews
33 helpful votes
5. Re: canadian getting married in Cuba!! insure of what to do??

It really becomes a very imvolved expensive process to get married in Cuba if one has been married before and then divorced. A friend of mine had to go through this and it cost a fortune. Never again. But if not divorced just follow the procedures and it is fine.

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
18 helpful votes
6. Re: canadian getting married in Cuba!! insure of what to do??

Hi,

I was married in Cuba last month and I did not have to get anything translated.

If this is the first marriage for both all you need to do is e-mail or fax a copy of your passports to the hotel.

If you have been married before you need to get your divorce certificate translated.

Hamilton
Level Contributor
100 posts
7. Re: canadian getting married in Cuba!! insure of what to do??

seasun...........it is not overly expensive for divorcees to get married down there, it cost me $368, it would probably be more if it was the Dominican or Mexico but Cuba is the cheapest to get married and the least for documents needed.

If its both your first marriage all you need is birth certificate, passport to get married. No translations are required.

canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
14 helpful votes
8. Re: canadian getting married in Cuba!! insure of what to do??

Thank-you to everyone on this site for all the info. re. getting married in Cuba. It really helps to hear from people who have been there and married there. Luckily it is the first marriage for both of us so we do not have to pay for translation to Spanish. But do we have anything to file with the Canadian government after we return from Cuba? Is it true that a relative cant be a witness in Cuba. I did read that somewhere along the line. I planned on using my sister and my husband to be was going to use his brother??Must we submit the passports of the witnesses to the resort also???Thank-you everyone!! Jillian

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
1 review
9 helpful votes
9. Re: canadian getting married in Cuba!! insure of what to do??

Congratulations on your upcoming destination wedding!!!

We were married in Cuba 2 years ago. It is true, to some degree that you cannot use family members for the wedding...but it only applies, if you were to have them as your witnesses.

You can have anyone you want be your maid-of-honor or best man, but you cannot have a sister; brother mother or father be your signing witness. We had my sister and brother-in-law stand up for us, but I had to use my aunt as a witness, as she is not immediate family.

Once you are married, your marriage certifincate goes to Havana where it is authenticated at the Cuban and Canadian Embassy/Consolate...then it makes its way back to you - its a lengthy process, ours took 5 months to finally get. Once you receive it, you are then able to go and change all of your I.D. to reflect your new married name, should you wish.

You may or may not have to have the marriage certificate translated, it does come in Spanish - when we inquired with the MTO and Ministry of Health as to weather or not we needed to have it translated, we were required to have it done - but others have not.

Not sure exactly where you are in Canada, but call your local ministried and they will advise you. The cost for the translation was about $75-85, including the courier fees.

Hope this helps!!

10. Re: canadian getting married in Cuba!! insure of what to do??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 18:45