We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadians, you are missing out!

toronto
Level Contributor
854 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Canadians, you are missing out!

We just returned from our 11th or 12th trip to Cuba, a short five night stay split between Havana and Vinales. We stayed in casa's, used a mix of taxi's and collectivos and met LOTS of people from all over the world including English, French, Austrian, German, Israeli, Mexican, Columbian, Costa Rican, Belgium and many, many Americans but not a single Canadian. We went to two separate tobacco farms, a couple of museums in the rain in Havana, sat on the Malecon and in restaurants and bars talking to so many people but never a fellow Canadian. It wasn't until we got back that we realized this. It is cheaper and easier for us to take the package tours offered, (we have done it ourselves when we needed a beach break or travelling with kids), but unless you spend some time, not just a day trip, away from the resorts, you are really missing out. Things have changed so much in the last three years since our last trip and I am sure they will continue to change so quickly. Take a chance, book a different kind of trip to Cuba before you can't.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
22 replies to this topic
London, Canada
Level Contributor
4,655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadians, you are missing out!

Your right, we are missing out.......time to move away from the AI resorts, I'm ready, but trying to convince someone else, not easy.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadians, you are missing out!

Canadians are mostley resort peoole, i see it only took you 12 trips to go explore cuba.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 19:35
toronto
Level Contributor
854 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadians, you are missing out!

Actually 3rd time staying in Havana, 2nd in Vinales but it is the first time we didn't include a beach and we were surprised we didn't miss it all. It has taken us a long time to get out of the AI mentality anywhere, not just Cuba but I can't see us going back unless we are travelling with a large group and it is more convenient. Our first trips were with kids and it was definitely easier to do AI with them. Once we stopped travelling with kids, we stopped the AI and are so happy as the world outside the resorts anywhere are far more interesting. Unfortunately for Canadians, it is just so much easier and cheaper to book a package.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 19:50
Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadians, you are missing out!

It depends on what your vacation is for. Right now I want to spend little as possible to go and vegetate in front of the pool, not having to do anything except relax. No worries about food or drink. Perhaps a quick day trip to see some sites, but it's the total relaxation that I need and seek. I don't feel that I'm missing out on anything as this is what I crave.

toronto
Level Contributor
854 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadians, you are missing out!

I guess what I am trying to say is so many people on this forum from Canada love Cuba and are passionate about it but as we all know it is changing and Cuba as it is will not stay the same. Three years ago Vinales had a handful of restaurants\paladars now there is close to 80 listed on TA and many more not listed. When we told locals there we had been three years ago, they were excited to talk about the changes and how it had affected their lives, they were all so hopeful for the future and influx of tourism. If you are interested in venturing off resort, do it now so you can be a witness to history, if you want to stay and enjoy the beach, that's completely understandable just don't be afraid to venture into the unknown because the rest of the world is already there, just not us.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
6,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadians, you are missing out!

I agree. So many times we hear of Canadians praising Cuba for being one of the safest countries in the world (which is absolutely true), but many Canadians don't really spend a lot of time testing that wonderful accolade about Cuba by venturing away from the AI resorts. Cuba is extremely special for it's level of safety for foreigners, and yet that might not always be true in the future too. Everyone should get into it while you can!

Terry

Edited: 07 June 2018, 23:35
Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadians, you are missing out!

I expect that there are actually many Canadians in Cuba off resort, and are probably like some of us that are just not that social, and are there under the radar. We just do our own thing and don't interact much with others. As my mom might say: 'If you didn't know we were there, why would you not think that we weren't there?'

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
London, Canada
Level Contributor
4,655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadians, you are missing out!

We are mostly off resort when we are there, and as HJ, do our own thing, but never stay overnight anywhere else, always at the resort, which I'm sure everyone knows that I want to stay elsewhere. Even today, same old song and dance, it's like pulling teeth, let's stay at a casa....answer no, I know, let's call it a Boutique Hotel.....you can even flush the toilet (I checked, they said yes).....so what's the problem......got to keep hammering away.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadians, you are missing out!

A coworker was in Cayo coco and wanted to go to Havana, her husband didn't want to. She had a day tour there by herself. Lot's of women go to Havana on their own, if men don't want to, I guess they could stay behind.

Mentioned in this post
Cayo Coco
Cayo Coco
Jardines del Rey Archipelago, Cuba
London, Canada
Level Contributor
4,655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadians, you are missing out!

We did go to Havana on a tour, both of us, he thought it was great....just doesn't want to stay overnight.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Canadians, you are missing out!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;