We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fantastic Bajan Recipe for Macaroni Pie

St. Augustine...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
11 reviews
43 helpful votes
Fantastic Bajan Recipe for Macaroni Pie

For all those travelers missing Barbados --

I've tried several recipes at home that I got years ago from the Supercentre site (when they carried recipes. They all have turned out delicious, so I thought I'd share them.

MACARONI PIE

1 lb. cooked long elbow-type macaroni

1/2 stick butter

8 Tbsp. Flour

2 small onions finely chopped

1/2 cup tomato ketchup

3 eggs lightly beaten

2 cups milk

As much as you like of Barbados Hot Sauce (or substitution)

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

In saucepan melt the butter, add flour and mix, then add onion, ketchup nd milk stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Cool slightly. Add salt and pepper to taste, Hot Sauce, cheese and beaten eggs.

In a large bowl, mix sauce with macaroni. then placed in a greased 9 x 12 casserole dish. Top with some additional cheddar cheese and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
111 reviews
66 helpful votes
1. Re: Fantastic Bajan Recipe for Macaroni Pie

Lois,

Thanks very much for this - very thoughtful. Just makes me want to get back even quicker!

Yesterday we were talking about rotis and I was just transported in my mind to sunny days and lovely Barbados!

Still, good things come to he/she who waits - I hope!!

Emelda

Boston
Level Contributor
273 posts
84 reviews
64 helpful votes
2. Re: Fantastic Bajan Recipe for Macaroni Pie

Hi,

Thanks for the recipe. The Pie I made a few weeks back came out well but I'm going on a local holiday (Cape Cod) in a few weeks and I may give yours a try. In regards to the other reply, do you know any recipes for a Roti? Thats next on my list to try.

Thanks

Jon

Vancover
Level Contributor
700 posts
3. Re: Fantastic Bajan Recipe for Macaroni Pie

Thanks Lois.

You are such a gracious lady always helping out the regular Bds travellers forum.

I will try your recipe for next my BBQ . I have not tried this recipe with Ketchup .. sounds easy and delicious.

suntrav

St. Augustine...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
11 reviews
43 helpful votes
4. Re: Fantastic Bajan Recipe for Macaroni Pie

For the macaroni pie:

Be sure to use enough Bajan hot sauce (or substitute) or it will not be spicy enough.

I will post other recipes separately so people can find them.

Lois

5. Re: Fantastic Bajan Recipe for Macaroni Pie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 09:55