We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any tips on driving around the island?

Poole
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
any tips on driving around the island?
Save

I generally get a hire car whenever I'm abroad but have never been to the Caribbean.

Is it safe to be driving about at night? I've heard stories of people helping themsrlves to a free lift when stopping you stop at traffic lights. A friend of mine was approached by a local in Bridgetown who promised to watch over his car....... for cash.

Any tips would be great.

Vancover
Level Contributor
700 posts
1. Re: any tips on driving around the island?
Save

Yes hire a car. Yes drive day or night .

Get clear instruction as to where you are going as many roads over lap and return to same start... can be fun

Locals are great at giving directions may offer to hop in and take you down the street .. to where you are going as a direction guide .

Never had a local hop in at lights is that Jamica not Barbados . I hire car each year for past 12 years and drive day and night as female. NEVER a issue..

Never pay to have car watched what for will some one steal it that is for police and the car insurance you have just purchased.

Do not do silly things leave car unlocked withs goody in car, or leave key in car stuff you would NEVER do at home.

Be ware island police have speed radar and Breathalyzers for alchol..it drinking do not drive then take taxis.

enjoy suntrav

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
306 posts
2 reviews
25 helpful votes
2. Re: any tips on driving around the island?
Save

I drove around the island with no problems at all. The only thing I would say is I was surprised at the amount of traffic on the roads. Each time we drove into Bridgetown we seemed to get caught in a traffic jam.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
7,721 posts
27 reviews
41 helpful votes
3. Re: any tips on driving around the island?
Save

First of all, Dickie.. don't be surprised at the amount of traffic on the rounds in Barbados. The amount of cars that have been imported has increased by leaps and bounds over the last few years. There is no law about how many cars a family can own (like in Bermuda) and most of the time you are fine out in the "wilds" of Barbados. The big problem recently has also been the reconstruction of roads among other things, due to the upcoming Cricket World Cup 2007. Things are being done now, so that then the situation will not be as bad (this remains to be seen).

Johnny.. If you feel comfortable driving, you should have no problem hiring a car. There are maps, which may or may not help, but will have the main areas, and can at least help a bit. Locals are generally willing to give you directions if you get lost. I've never heard of anyone jumping in a car in Barbados at a traffic light. but I do agree that you must be careful and use common sense. Don't leave anything in the open or leave any valuables in the car when you are parking the car.

Enjoy your stay

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
306 posts
2 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: any tips on driving around the island?
Save

Sunniebgi, I guess, as I'm used to St Vincent and Bequia (as you know from the forum) I was surprised at how busy Barbados was. I'm used to traffic in the UK (live near the M25, I'll explain if you don't know) but expected not to find the same in the Caribbean!!

Poole
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: any tips on driving around the island?
Save

Thanks guys........... I'll stop worrying and start enjoying.