We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

? About Mini Moke

Level Contributor
464 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
? About Mini Moke

Thinking about renting a mini moke. Will it take us around the island safely or do we need something bigger and with doors? We thought it might be a fun way to get around.

Comments or suggestions?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,906 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: ? About Mini Moke

It is fun, sort of!! But for comfort and safety I would recommend a "proper" car. Little or no protection in a Moke from the weather and I wouldn't want to be in an accident in one.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
522 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ? About Mini Moke

Tricia: We've found the biggest disadvantage is no trunk (boot) or glove compartment, so no secure (sort of) storage when you're away from the vehicle. If it's just a one-day rental you are considering, go for it. They are a bit primitive, but fun.

Brian

Level Contributor
464 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ? About Mini Moke

We were going to rent something for a week. We are staying a bit away from "the action" so it was recommended to rent a car. We would like to drive around and see some sites and it will be a way to get to restaurants, etc.

Any car companies to stay away from?

Oh, and how are the little jeep type vehicles?

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ? About Mini Moke

I have only ever used Stoutes and they have always given excllent service

I did hire a Mini Moke - once-

The considerations are to be honest fairly obvious and a matter of personal choice

They are fun convertibles but:

are dusty

leave you much more liable to injury

less secure - may have small lockable boot ( trunk)

no air-conditioning

not good value ( IMHO)

uncomfortable

Much of the above also applies to the jeep style vehicles which are even worse value. There are no road s on Barbados where you NEED a jeep style vehicle

It is all about choices !!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ? About Mini Moke

Tricia,

I always use Stoutes also, because of service, reliabilty and good quality vehicles.

Mokes are good fun but, no protection from sun or rain, nowhere to put your stuff, and the safety aspect concerns me also. Even a stone getting thrown off the road could do you a mischief!

Not sure if you have been to Barbados before but the roads are not the best. We rent an air conditioned jeep Terios and whilst not the fastest (who cares), they go up and down all the roads and hills, no problem.

Emelda

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ? About Mini Moke

One of the most funny/ sad sights here is to see holiday-makers in a moke, in the torrential rain, with beach towels draped from the roof to the floor trying desperately to stay dry. Sorry, but if anyone else says that's not mildly amusing then they are lying! Oh, and watch out for puddles in potholes when a truck goes by....

I'd go for a car if I were you, or a soft-top Suzuki Jimny or similar. Also, as you asked, stay away from Fat Jack's car rental. As mentioned Stoute's are good, as are Executive.

Fleet, Hampshire
Level Contributor
116 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ? About Mini Moke

I agree, Mokes are fun until it rains! I would go to Stoutes and get a Suzuki Jimny Soft-Top with a/c or if you want more luxury and comfort go for a Suzuki Grand Vitara from Direct Car Rentals.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ? About Mini Moke

We rented a Daihatsu Mira from Stoutes and it was a great little car. It's essentially a moke but with doors! Also had a good stereo and air conditioning and peppy enough we had no problems going up any of the hills.

If they sold them here I'd get rid of my SUV and buy one.

Level Contributor
464 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ? About Mini Moke

Thank you all!!!

We really appreciate your responses. We took your advice and rented a Daihatsu Terios from Stoutes. Think that will get us around just fine. They will meet us at the airport which is great.

Now, we need to figure out how to drive on the "wrong" :+) side of the road!!!

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ? About Mini Moke

My best advise is keep the AC on since most of us are not used to the hot weather AND keep the window rolled down with your elbow resting on the door. With your right hand resting on the turn signal you won't have the problem of turning the wipers on instead of the turn signals, they are opposite. Next, get used to looking up and to the left instead of the right for the rearview mirrow. This messed me up more than anything else.

The gas and brake pedals have the same orientation.

Don't forget to get lost, the island is not that big so have fun driving. When you get lost, and you will, just look for water and follow a coastal road. My buddy's parents visit him lots and they just try to find ABC highway. I prefer to look for water.

Stoutes will deliver the car and pick it up anywhere you ask them too. They bring the car with about 10 dollars worth of gas and ask that you return it as empty as possible, we returned it with10 dollars anyways. They picked the car back up at the hotel, just give the keys to reception and sometime during the day they will pick it up. We also found out if the car isn't spoken for and you need an extra day they will let you keep it and it was a very good deal.