We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Barbados

Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Driving in Barbados

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are coming to Barbados for the first time in mid September, for six nights. I'm trying to figure out if we should rent a car and maybe stay in somewhere a little bit more secluded, or if we should find somewhere a bit more central (in the Holetown/Speightstown area for west coast beaches) where we can simply take the bus everywhere.

My question is: is it easy to find drive/find places to park if we end up having to drive everywhere, or is it enough of a hassle that we'd be better off just staying more centrally and taking the bus anywhere we want to go? We'd mainly be driving to beaches, with the occasional trip to Bridgetown and some other attractions like the nature reserve.

Thanks so much for any insights!

7 replies to this topic
Hollis, NH
Level Contributor
426 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Driving in Barbados

Look, it's very simple, if you have the money, and September is off season so the rental cars are like half price, definitely rent a car. It takes like 15min to get used to the opposite side driving, the roundabouts are the only thing you really need to think about. This gives you tons more freedom to explore the island and the many cool beaches. Don't think twice about it.

As an example for pricing.....we rented a small SUV two weeks ago, it was 280 USD for eight days......$35/day, how can you beat that?

Ohio
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
2. Re: Driving in Barbados

I will second the rental car. The freedom it gives you is great, once you get use to driving on the left. A rental car is definitely needed to get to Bliss Cafe on the south coast if you are staying on the west side. Trust me, it is worth the trip!

Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Driving in Barbados

I have no problem driving on the left; my husband is from Australia, I lived there for four years, and I've visited New Zealand three times in the last four years. I'm more worried about whether or not it will be easy to find parking or if it will be a hassle to find parking, but it sounds like that's not too much of an issue?

Thanks for the advice!

Hollis, NH
Level Contributor
426 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Driving in Barbados

No issue for parking at the nice beaches.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Driving in Barbados

Some beaches have parking, especially the ones on the south coast, but there are some west coast beaches that it is quite difficult to find a place to park.

My advice is find a nice place to stay in Holetown/Speightstown area. This area has good beaches, and a variety of restaurants that can be reached by the bus that runs up and down the coast road. I would perhaps rent a vehicle for a few days so that you can drive over to the east coast, maybe bath beach if the seaweed has gone, have a nice lunch at Chillin’ Breeze at Barclay’s Park, or a nice buffet lunch at the Atlantis Hotel. You could then also check out the south coast area like St. Lawrence Gap, Dover Beach and perhaps an excellent meal at the Oistins Fish Market which would be easier to get to than taking a bus

Ohio
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
6. Re: Driving in Barbados

Knowing the beach access points was more of an issue for us. Parking seemed to more so be on the side streets running perpendicular to the ocean. I read a few threads on here to figure out where to park. Once you know where you can park, parking really isn't an issue. Just knowing where you can park is what we had the most trouble with.

Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
516 posts
97 reviews
7. Re: Driving in Barbados

Parking is not an issue in most places. I researched where to park before we travelled and found that a big help. We like to be able to just leave a beach whenever we want and not to wait around for buses although they do seem very frequent. If you hire a car, you will see much more of this beautiful island at the times you want. We stayed in Holetown and often walked in the evenings so we could enjoy a few drinks.

Reply to: Driving in Barbados
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted