We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Coast v’s South Coast

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
49 reviews
West Coast v’s South Coast

This was our 14th trip to Barbados and have always stayed on the South Coast and loved it. With heavy hearts we swapped to the West Coast this time, due to the sewage problems. So I thought I would just post about what we found different and our new experiences, (yes you can still find different things to do every trip).

The South has more traffic, partly due to the fact that there are no ZR’s on the West. This made getting home from anywhere so much quicker.

The sea in the south is mostly choppier plus there was a lot of seaweed. We always have enjoyed the West Coast beaches. Finally of course, the reason we moved, the sewage. We passed by several times and it varied each time, but it was smelly!

We found we had to walk further to restaurants on the West (we stayed at All Seasons Europa).

It was hotter and we were bitten by mossies or sand flies a lot more, despite trying everything.

Our new experiences this year, Cool Runnings Sunset Cruise, we have always done the lunch cruise, so that was different and we really loved it. We were also lucky enough to see a huge stingray as well as the turtles and fish. Waterfront Cafe Jazz night was thoroughly enjoyed. We visited Port St. Charles Yacht Club for lunch, swimming and lounging. It rained whilst we lunched but still a very good day.

Our favourite eating places were The Rum Stop at Limegrove, their Rum Punches were the best! The food was also good! Lemongrass again at Limegrove, The Beach House, lovely food but miserable waiter. Also Surfside especially on Sunday evening with the Steelpan band.

Overall that leaves us confused, do we choose South or West next year. Decisions, decisions!!

23 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
265 reviews
1. Re: West Coast v’s South Coast

Pleased you enjoyed your trip to the west coast. I agree with you about the bites, the south coast breeze definitely stops the bites! Looking forward to trying the places you recommended in Limegrove for food and drinks. Good luck with your decision for your next trip.

Donna

Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: West Coast v’s South Coast

Enjoyed your trip review , Thank you :)

We are the same decided to stay on the West Coast this year for a change. It will be our 12th trip and the 11 years stayed on South Coast. So looking forward to it :)

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
5,084 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: West Coast v’s South Coast

Was good to meet up with you again at Surfside and introduce you to the 1st Street karaoke party.

So pleased you enjoyed the West coast.

Funnily enough I didn’t get one single mosquito bite this visit! That’s a first!

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: West Coast v’s South Coast

How could I forgot about the 1st Street Party! Loved, loved, loved it. Thanks for taking us there Babiface.

Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
517 posts
97 reviews
5. Re: West Coast v’s South Coast

I'd stick to the west until the sewage situation is definitely sorted. There are so many places to eat, drink at and explore that I'm sure you'll find a few more that you haven't come across before.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: West Coast v’s South Coast

Decisions indeed..what will sway you either way, do you think?

I'm sitting in the fence, south coast again or west for a change..Can't quite seem to commit..you may persuade me.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
14,630 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: West Coast v’s South Coast

Great report Verderose. Fancy you coming to our wonderful Street Party and I wasn't there to meet you after all these years , just as I miss the meet up every year Humph. I'm so glad you enjoyed the west coast for a change, we have more to offer than many people seem to think. ;-))

Kent. UK
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: West Coast v’s South Coast

Thanks Verderose enjoyed reading your report. We found it hotter than usual this year on the West Coast, hope the sewage issue is resolved so that you have the choice of both coasts.

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: West Coast v’s South Coast

Really enjoyed reading your trip report verderose, it gives us a few ideas for our next visit. We're South Coasters who have toyed with the idea of trying the Wrest Coast. Not because of sewage because that doesn't impact our stay at all (Southern Palms) but because of trying something new and different. We prefer the West Coast beaches and sea, to be honest we rarely go in the sea in Dover as the red flags are up due to the currents. We can go further down the beach though which is safe to swim in but we always drive to either Carlisle Bay for a couple of days and try put another west coast beach.

The other reason is to try out some new places to eat. Can't quite persuade my husband to try a change though.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4,428 posts
156 reviews
10. Re: West Coast v’s South Coast

You know, it shouldn't be this constant battle about South v West. Its Barbados, you cant go wrong. Everything is a compromise. We regularily have a ‘two centre stay’ in Barbados. We always have time at Crane, which is of course on East so not included in this ‘battle’. We enjoy the peace and quiet but despite concerns by many it is easy to get out and about by bus, hire care, taxi. Anyway our appartment is Saturday to Saturday. We discovered a number of years ago that by flying on a Wednesday we could save enough to cover a different hotel for 3 nights. That has given us the opportunity to stay in different areas and enjoy the contrasts. Different beach,sea,bars,restaurants etc. Taxi to the accomodation from airport and hire a car on the day we change over. No big hassle. Packing is easy as we dont have to unpack everything when we arrive and as we are not throwing luggage in an airplane hold we dont have to be too careful. Off to the supermarket and stock up with beer ( and other comestibles). We have stayed at Paynes Bay, Worthing, Gap, Holetown in a range of accomodation and are going to be back in Holetown for a few days next month. We have loved them all without exception. The one constant is that every place we have been sells Mount Gay & Banks!

Reply to: West Coast v’s South Coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted