We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk to Tobacco Bay

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
213 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Walk to Tobacco Bay

Planning to go to Toacco Bay/Fort St Catherine in 2 weeks and are debating between walking or taking a taxi. We are planning to walk to the Unfinished Church anyway which is up a hill. Is is that much further if we continue to Tobacco Bay? Everything I read refers to "the steep hill" I guess my question is how steep is steep?

20 replies to this topic
TORONTO
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk to Tobacco Bay

Once you reach unfinished church you are half way there and I always think the hardest part is over

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
423 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk to Tobacco Bay

As mentioned above, once you get to the Unfinished Church, you're almost half way to Tobacco Bay and the steepest part is over. Then there is a steep DOWN hill walk to Tobacco Bay. If you ONLY go to Tobacco Bay, then you will have THAT steep part to walk back up again on the way back. It's not that bad of a walk, if you're used to doing any walking at all. What will make a difference is whether it's hot and humid when you do it. If it is, I would recommend taking a couple of bottles of water with you.

If you choose to continue on to Ft St Catherine....between Tobacco Bay and the fort, the walk is level and not very far. Here is how the area is laid out. https://goo.gl/maps/CPjM8o9ckap

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
213 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk to Tobacco Bay

Thanks. Did you feel the walk was safe traffic wise? I know the roads are very narrow. Is the walk back to town all downhill?

USA
Level Contributor
30,066 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk to Tobacco Bay

Not entirely sure how to describe the term, '..steep..' ? Everything's relative, I suppose. Is it Everest ?..NO...Is it a 'speed bump' in a supermarket parking lot ?? NO.

The top of Fort George Hill is approx. 1/2 way.

Assuming you began from the Square in downtown Saint George's, the walk through town and UP Duke of Kent Street (at Somers Market) to the UNFINISHED CHURCH will onlky be 2/10th of a mile....then continuing along Government Hill Road, it will still be uphill for part of the walk to the top of Fort George Hill and then down hill the other side to Tobacco Bay Beach for a total of approx. 6/10th of a mile....from Tobacco Bay Beach it will be another 3/10th of a mile to the entrance to Fort Saint Catherine...for a total just a bit short of one(1) mile (not exactly a Marathon).. So not a long or especially difficult walk but perhaps half the way will be UP-hill at the start and the other half DOWN-hill at the finish. Neither the distance nor the '..steepness..' are difficult if you're in 'average' physical condition (this usually translates for most as a bit more than slightly out-of-shape) '..fresh... So the same hill won't seem as 'steep' going as it will be when you're returning.

Just as a suggestion...if ya' wear a hard hat, a short sleeved white shirt (w/pocket protector), khaki chinos, Timberland work boots and carry a clip-board.....you might be able to 'pass' for a project engineer on the new St. Regis Hotel and condos...and be able to flag down a passing construction vehicle to drive you up 'n over the hill. Who's gonna'know the difference if you're wearin' a hard hat 'n carryin' a clipboard (make sure you've got the 'pocket protector) ??

Edited: 08 August 2018, 01:16
TORONTO
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walk to Tobacco Bay

Indeed you can carry on to Gates Fort on cut road and if you time it right sit and watch a ferry going through the cut. Quite the sight. Then on down the road back into town Stopping at Somers for a derserved cold one to take back to the cottage 👍👍

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,578 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walk to Tobacco Bay

It would be worth taking a taxi up and back if it's hot and humid. Believe me, the steep parts are steep !!! A local resident offered me a ride up once when I was staying on Shinbone Alley. Perhaps if you hover around as you get to the bottom of the hill, look pathetic, someone will take pity on you. Nice people, the Bermudians.

USA
Level Contributor
30,066 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walk to Tobacco Bay

From Fort Saint Catherine, along Barry Road, along the shore to the Victoria Battery/Buildings Bay/east-end 'sea glass beach' another 9/10th of a mile (mainly flat/level).....1/10 of a mile farther alon to Gates Fort and the Town Cut passage into Saint George's Harbour....than approx. 9/10th of a mile back alongCut Road, along the harbourfront to the Square where you began.

This would be a good route to ride a rental bicycle from Oleander or WeRide in downtown Saint George's..

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
213 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walk to Tobacco Bay

We will be there the last week in August so I'm sure it will be hot and humid. Would it make sense and be a bit easier to take a taxi to the fort and then walk to Tobacco Bay and back to town stopping at the Unfinished Church on the return walk?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,578 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walk to Tobacco Bay

Yes, it's interesting to see the ferry coming through the Cut. It's a pretty tight squeeze. To answer your question , the roads in that area are safe to walk on, but be aware of traffic and always walk facing the traffic.

I hate seeing people walking with their backs to the traffic.

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
213 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walk to Tobacco Bay

We will be there the last week in August so I'm sure it will be hot and humid. Would it make sense and be a bit easier to take a taxi to the fort and then walk to Tobacco Bay and back to town stopping at the Unfinished Church on the return walk? Is the walk pretty? It looks like it goes through the golf course.

Reply to: Walk to Tobacco Bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted