We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report July 24-30, 2018

Bronx, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report July 24-30, 2018

Just returned from 6 nights in Bermuda with our 2 children ages 9 and 14. We rented a house off of "Bermuda Rentals" # C44 in South Hampton. Staying at that place was the best part of our trip. It was very comfortable and quiet and their enormous heated pool was amazing. We lucked out as the previous renters had purchased monthly bus passes that they left behind for someone else to use. We purchased groceries for breakfast and lunches along with a couple BBQ dinners. The prices of groceries there are insane, so be forewarned. I had brought items like cheese , bacon, frozen hash browns in a soft cooler on the plane with no problems. We loved Horseshoe Bay but we went around 5:00 pm on a Saturday, and it wasn't crowded at all. Jobson's Cove and John Smith's Bay also very fun because the water wasn't rough. We did venture out to Tobacco Bay and honestly could not believe how long it took to get there via bus from south Hampton. We saw many fish there and didn't need to rent the snorkels. Due to the travel time and how slow the buses were running, we never went to the nature preserve that we had planned on the next day. My kids and I were literally just sick of being on that bus for hours on end.

Church Bay beach was within walking distance of the rental house. Again we were there around 6:00 PM and we saw tons of fish. This was the roughest water of all the beaches, and again, no need for snorkel gear...you will be able to see them. HUGE parrot fish swimming in schools and we were standing not even knee deep in the water. They were extremely close to the shore, and apparently my husband was told by another person on the beach..."Yeah, they are always there." BRING WATER SHOES! I just used my flip flops and they stayed on for the most part. But I would not have been able to tolerate Tobacco or Church Bay without them. There were just too many rocks.

As for restaurants , we ate lunch at the lighthouse which was very good. Loved their strawberry Eton Mess dessert! We had climbed to the top the previous day, and even though I am terrified of heights, I was able to make it to the top. For anyone with a fear of heights...there are no slats to see through to the bottom, so it really isn't that bad. It is only one floor at a time, if that makes sense. We did the crystal caves and enjoyed that along with the dockyard museum on 2 separate days. Well worth your time to see both. La Trattoria in Hamilton on Wednesday evening when they have their street fair. Loved the Swizzle Inn for lunch across from the caves (Delicious Fish Sandwich) and The Frog and Onion Pub at the Dockyard across from the museum.

We had a problem with one of the bus drivers. She was very rude, and they aren't really willing to tell you exactly where you need to get off. Some of the passengers on that same bus were also really mean. That was our only bad experience, but it really tainted our impression of the people who live there. We did have a local guy come up to us after we got off that bus to try and help us figure out where we were trying to get to. There is extreme good and bad everywhere I guess.

It was very hot there. Bring sunscreen. We could not believe how many people we saw who were red like lobsters. Thank you to all the regulars on this forum who helped me plan this vacation for our family.

Mentioned in this post
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Horseshoe Bay Beach
Horseshoe Bay Beach
3,194 Reviews
Bermuda
Jobson's Cove Beach
Jobson's Cove Beach
197 Reviews
Bermuda
Tobacco Bay
Tobacco Bay
778 Reviews
Bermuda
Church Bay Beach
Church Bay Beach
250 Reviews
Bermuda
Hamilton
Hamilton
Bermuda
Swizzle Inn
Swizzle Inn
690 Reviews
Bermuda
Frog and Onion Pub
Frog and Onion Pub
1,421 Reviews
Bermuda
Art Mel's Spicy Dicy
₹, Caribbean, Seafood, Fast food
Fourways Inn
₹₹₹₹, French, European, International
Ascots Restaurant
₹₹₹₹, International, European
8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
51 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report July 24-30, 2018

Thanks for sharing.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report July 24-30, 2018

To get to Tobacco Bay without the long bus ride you could have taken the bus to the Dockyard and the ferry to St. George's.

I've only had one rude driver in all the years of going to Bermuda. Never experienced any Bermudian being mean or rude. What happened?

Edited: 03 August 2018, 09:12
Mentioned in this post
Tobacco Bay
Tobacco Bay
778 Reviews
Bermuda
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
United States
Level Contributor
26,715 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report July 24-30, 2018

Thank you for your trip report. Sorry about your bad bus experiences. Others posters on here have also talked about how slow the buses are and the long wait times.

USA
Level Contributor
29,851 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report July 24-30, 2018

Over the decades, I've run into a couple/few rude Bermudians (hey...anyone can have a bad/off day). It's something of a '..novelty..' (though perhaps not at the time).....with the notable '..exceptions..' simply proving the '..rule..' by comparison. It may sound odd but....consider yourself '..lucky..' Most visitors never get the opportunity to experience the '..Importunus Bermudianus..' in its natural habitat.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 09:55
Coastal South...
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report July 24-30, 2018

Hey KDKSAIL. Thanks for the Latin lesson😄 I had to look up "importunus" in the dictionary😄

USA
Level Contributor
29,851 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report July 24-30, 2018

Truth be told.....so did I. I'm a loooong way from three(3) years of parochial prep school Latin and Linnaean classification.

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report July 24-30, 2018

Ok, you got me. I had to look up "Linnaean" too😄

Hamilton, Bermuda
Level Contributor
838 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report July 24-30, 2018

Hi Brake24,

Thank you for sharing your Bermuda trip story! It seems that your family had a really great time and that you all got to move around the island quite a bit. We are sorry that you had a bad encounter on the bus however we are glad that you did find someone who was able to assist you with finding your destination. We do hope that you will return again to Bermuda some day sooner than later and experience more of what we have to offer :)

Mentioned in this post
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Reply to: Trip Report July 24-30, 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bermuda