We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Griswolds in Aruba - Day 7

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
270 posts
14 reviews
7 helpful votes
Griswolds in Aruba - Day 7
Save

Our flight home wasn’t until 3:30, so we still had some time to enjoy our vacation until it was time to pack up and leave. Guess how we started our day? If you guessed snorkeling at Boca Catalina, you are correct! As usual, we swam out to the sea grass to look for turtles. We didn’t see any for a while, but then when I came up to get a bearing on my wife, one popped up for air not 10 feet from me! Other sea creatures of note included a spotted eel, three squid, and a large hermit crab occupying a conch shell. After bidding adieu to our friends under the sea, we headed back to the condo to pack. As we were getting out of the water, I saw a cruise ship heading into port, and hoped it wouldn’t cause any traffic problems, as I had not one but two trips to the airport in front of me.

Our owner was very laid back, responsive, and great to work with. There were no exit instructions, so I called her to confirm there was nothing we needed to do before checking out. Her response was just make sure any used dishes were returned to the kitchen – no need to strip beds, sweep, clean fridge, etc.

Determined to prolong our trip as much as possible, I headed down to the pool to read in the shade for half an hour. I knew what was coming, and I wanted to get the most relaxed mindset possible to prepare for it.

Finally it was time to leave for the airport. We couldn’t fit all 10 of us and our luggage in two cars, so I took my mother and father in law at 11:30, at the same time my brother and sister in law and kids were leaving for their 2:30 flight, and then came back for my family. I dropped my wife and kids at the curb and went to return the car at Wheels2Go, which was painless as always, and I was back in minutes. There was no one in line at the Delta counter to check in, which I hoped was a good sign. Unfortunately, after we checked our bags we proceeded to a long line (actually 2 parallel lines) outside. The queues were covered, but still hot in the open air. To make matters worse, we had apparently chosen the wrong line, because we noticed people in the other line were moving through much quicker. On top of this, every 10 minutes or so both lines would stop to allow room for people to funnel through the next indoor, air conditioned line for customs. We finally made it inside to the second queue, and then through a metal detector, and then from there we picked up our luggage and waited in an even longer line with our suitcases. All in all, it took about 2 hours and 45 minutes to get to our gate, which was just enough time to grab a slice of pizza to eat on the plane before our flight boarded. A couple of comments here: 1. The 3 hour departure process is not unique to Aruba – we have seen this on other islands as well. 2. As arduous as it was, it is still much better IMO, to go through immigration on the island than when you land in the states.

Our flights home were great. I happily munched my pizza on the plane, and there were good in flight entertainment options. Unfortunately, the four people in our group who hadn’t had their American flight cancelled on the way down, did have their American connection in Philly cancelled, had to rent a car, and arrived home at 2:45 am.

I appreciate you all for staying with me through this super long trip report. I will post final thoughts tomorrow.

12 replies to this topic
Port Saint Lucie...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
123 reviews
80 helpful votes
1. Re: Griswolds in Aruba - Day 7
Save

Thank you for posting Clark. It was a pleasure to have traveled alongside you.

JT

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
8,551 posts
381 reviews
258 helpful votes
2. Re: Griswolds in Aruba - Day 7
Save

Welcome home. Thanks for all your posts.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
17,259 posts
77 reviews
128 helpful votes
3. Re: Griswolds in Aruba - Day 7
Save

Sounds like you had a great trip!

Garnet Valley...
Level Contributor
594 posts
20 reviews
19 helpful votes
4. Re: Griswolds in Aruba - Day 7
Save

Thank you for sharing your trip with us! I really enjoyed following along.

We have our negative tests in hand, bags are packed, and we are ready to head back to beautiful Aruba. I will try to send along some reports as well.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
270 posts
14 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: Griswolds in Aruba - Day 7
Save

Thank you all for the positive feedback.

Beached Mermaid, have a wonderful trip!!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
7,343 posts
12 reviews
28 helpful votes
6. Re: Griswolds in Aruba - Day 7
Save

Great report. Nice trip. Thanks for sharing all of it.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
10,937 posts
473 reviews
233 helpful votes
7. Re: Griswolds in Aruba - Day 7
Save

Enjoyed reaching your daily adventures!

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
75,951 posts
8,650 reviews
4,055 helpful votes
8. Re: Griswolds in Aruba - Day 7
Save

Fun day. Thanks for your report.

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Griswolds in Aruba - Day 7
Save

Good job ...Thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
42 helpful votes
10. Re: Griswolds in Aruba - Day 7
Save

Thanks for all your reports. Good reading! You have lots of energy in the mornings 😎

Reply to: Griswolds in Aruba - Day 7
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.