We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sargassum Seaweed in Aruba?

2 posts
Sargassum Seaweed in Aruba?

Anyone know if the Sargassum Seaweed has hit Aruba yet? We were just in Punta Cana at the beginning of July and there was so much seaweed that you couldn't get in the water. I am really hoping it hasn't hit Aruba yet. We leave a week from today!

15 replies to this topic
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,549 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Sargassum Seaweed in Aruba?

Nope...all set. Enjoy.

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
170 posts
50 reviews
2. Re: Sargassum Seaweed in Aruba?

must be an important question since its asked on the first page three times

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
241 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Sargassum Seaweed in Aruba?

It’s extremely important. Anyone who goes to the Caribbean for the beach and not to lie by the pool should scrupulously research this issue before booking. No joke. It is a vacation ruiner and it’s all over the Caribbean. If Aruba had sargassum issues, I would not have booked. Period.

4. Re: Sargassum Seaweed in Aruba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 August 2018, 17:51
Edited: 03 August 2018, 17:51

Nutts Corner...
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
102 reviews
5. Re: Sargassum Seaweed in Aruba?

Aruba rarely gets bad seaweed - but it has been known to happen. If the situation throughout the Caribbean is bad and it is pervasive then there is a possibility that it may eventually get to Aruba as well. Keep an eye on it and plan accordingly.

2 posts
6. Re: Sargassum Seaweed in Aruba?

Yeah! I wouldn't say it ruined my trip to Punta Cana in July, but it definitely put a dampener on it when there was so much seaweed you couldn't get in the ocean. You couldn't take good pictures by the water without it in the background. And there were workers going back and forth all day just trying to keep it at bay. From what I have read, it is not in Aruba yet. Hopefully it stays that way for at least another week. Fingers crossed!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
469 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Sargassum Seaweed in Aruba?

Was in Aruba last week and the water was beautiful. I’ve read about the problems with other Caribbean locations and was so glad the problem wasn’t affecting Aruba. I like to swim in the sea and the water was gorgeous.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Sargassum Seaweed in Aruba?

As bad as it has been this year, and it is indeed a dealbreaker at many places, it has been reported that it is finally slowly starting to recede. Sargassum is seasonal, it runs from April-Oct with a June/July peak. Aruba thankfully has never been in it's path and wasn't this year, hopefully never.

Sargassum is also cyclical, it is bad one year and then isn't for several. So hopefully the rest of the Caribbean goes back to normal for awhile. That said, this year was 4X worse than even the worst year ever and many islands that never have been hit were hit this year. So everyone, including Aruba should keep their fingers crossed that this year was an anomaly and not a new normal.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
241 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Sargassum Seaweed in Aruba?

I had heard that the most recent research is that this is not “Sargassum” seaweed, as in from the Sargasso Sea near Bermuda, at all. Apparently, there is some thinking that it is forming off the coast of Brazil and may be caused, in part, by huge fertilizer runoff combined with increasing water temperatures. The seaweed then travels to the Caribbean on the current. If this is correct, finding a solution may be tougher than hoped (international cooperation on various fronts, including countries not affected by the current seaweed issues).

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Sargassum Seaweed in Aruba?

You are half right Leige, the species of seaweed that flourished in Brazil is not the same as up north, which is actually Sargassum. This is troubling for a few reasons. Will this version be invasive in places Sargassum isn't? Is it a sign what increased water temperatures/pollution are such that even more species will flourish too?

Hopefully this is a freak occurrence, sort of like a 100 year storm. I wouldn't bet on it. You can bet there's a lot of research going on with what just a year ago was virtually ignored.

Reply to: Sargassum Seaweed in Aruba?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted