We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sargassum

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
sargassum

Is Aruba being effected by the sargassum? We usually go to the Riviera Maya mexico area - but want to go where there are beaches clear of sargassum.

10 replies to this topic
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: sargassum

No it is not. Have fun.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
241 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: sargassum

Def Not.

Boston...
Level Contributor
85 posts
70 reviews
3. Re: sargassum

take a look at web cam pics of Akumal Bay in Mexico - used to be heaven on earth pristine clear waters -- every day they are raking and raking mounds of seaweed - can't keep up with it. last year on downtown playa there were times it stunk so bad (if it sits too long it rots) terrible probem in alot of the caribbean this year - most of aruba seems to have been spared - well it better be at least next month when i go :)....

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: sargassum

Sargassum seaweed has a "season" so to speak. It gets bad from April-October. This year it is catastrophically bad, 4X worse than ever. Troubling thing is that no one knows why, there isn't a lot of research into the subject. They speculate rising water temperatures (The Caribbean's average temp has gone up 1.5 degrees over the past 20 years.) and increased nitrogen based pollution are two factors. You can bet they're doing the research now.

What does that mean for Aruba? Up to this point nothing. Different currents and the fact that Aruba's waters are actually a little bit cooler than elsewhere have largely shielded them from any effects. That said, the problem is spreading, in fact points as far south as Brazil have seen some sargassum. So no one can say with much certainty whether Aruba might be affected in the future. Also, sargassum blooms are cyclical, so there's a strong possibility that it won't be an issue anywhere over the next few years.

Haha, this is my long way of saying who the heck knows?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: sargassum

ERCUR- I did look at the webcam as you suggested and my only thought was WOW!!!!! I now understand why people continue to ask, lol.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
241 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: sargassum

A big factor in us booking Aruba was the lack of seaweed when the situation is pretty dismal many other places!

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: sargassum

The entire south coast of Barbados, the equivalent of Palm Beach is essentially shut down by it. Mountains of seaweed and brown sludgy waters. It is awful. Here's a youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnJq1I20Ql8

MD
Level Contributor
804 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: sargassum

I was in the Keys 2 weeks ago and they are having an issue down there too. It's the 5th time I've been down there to Marathon and this is the only time we've ever had seaweed issues. It was pretty gross and stinky, but we still enjoyed the water and in some parts just stepped over it at the shore to get in the water.

I did not realize this was a problem that has been affecting the whole Caribbean though. We're headed to Grand Cayman in September and it appears there are some issues there but along the main beaches they are handling it very quick when it comes in.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: sargassum

I know it's a natural phenomenon - but it makes me so sad - they used to have such beautiful clear turquoise water, nice white sandy beaches --- hopefully it will soon change but I'm very concerned. I know this doesn't "ruin" your trip - but when you're a beach girl - it definitely effects your vaca!!! Especially if you like to snorkel - last year I actually got stung twice from little jelly fish that get trapped in the sargassum - that was not pleasant!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: sargassum

Any suggestions as to where to stay in Aruba that has a great beach and snorkeling off beach? We like bigger resorts so we have lots to do and check out. Thinking of going end of Nov./beginning of Dec. - what's the weather like?

Reply to: sargassum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted