We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What bus from St. John's to Nelson's Dockyard?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What bus from St. John's to Nelson's Dockyard?

Do I take a bus from the East Bus Depot in St. John's to get to Nelson's Dockyard? I know there are two, but nobody mentions which one to go to. I read it was a #17 bus. Is that correct? If it is the East Bus Depot can you tell me which street it's on? Thanks much. Aliaj

9 replies to this topic
UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,583 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What bus from St. John's to Nelson's Dockyard?

It's a number 17, but from the West bus station (opposite the public market on Market Street).

The East bus station serves the North and East of the island, and is located by the ARG.

You may find the post about half way down the first page here useful: www.antiguaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=929

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What bus from St. John's to Nelson's Dockyard?

I do appreciate the help of those that know, then when I step onto the pier, I just start walking the direction I already want to go! Makes me feel like a local! Thanks for the bus depot help! AliaJ.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What bus from St. John's to Nelson's Dockyard?

Hello again Mizgeorge, I have another question. Once we have visted Nelson's Dockyard we might like to walk to a beach. Is there one within walking distance?

Also I read that the Dow's Hill Interpretive Centre is several clicks down the road on the way to Shirley Heights. Does a bus go there? Is the road uphill steep? Would we have to walk a long distance if dropped off on the main road by the bus? My husband uses walking sticks in rough places! Thanks again for your help. AliaJ.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,583 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What bus from St. John's to Nelson's Dockyard?

Hi AliaJ,

There are a couple of nice beaches close by Nelson's Dockyard - Pigeon, and Galleon - of the two, Galleon is easiest - you can get a water taxi straight there from Dockyard.

The Interpretation Centre is a fair way up the hill. and it is pretty steep in places. There's no bus going up there, but a taxi would be only a few dollars, and you could keep it to go on up to the top for the view from Shirley Heights.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What bus from St. John's to Nelson's Dockyard?

Good morning Mizgeorge, my question today is this: We are advised to only use taxis that are licensed, and the drivers, members of the official taxi association. Where on or in the taxi will we see this designation? We want to take the "official" taxis. Thanks again, you are making our trip so much eaiser! AliaJ.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,583 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What bus from St. John's to Nelson's Dockyard?

It's in the front window of any cab. That said, pretty much all cabs are licensed, and they're not allowed to pick up at the port, or most other tourist spots, if they're not.

Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What bus from St. John's to Nelson's Dockyard?

Don't bother! At US$9 per headntherebare far more interesting sites to view. We were VERY disappointed

England
Level Contributor
948 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What bus from St. John's to Nelson's Dockyard?

I fear the last poster must have missed something at Nelson's Dockyard. There is so much history there, lovely places to stop and eat and drink, a vendor's mall etc. Yes, stop and talk to those ladies selling their wares. They are real characters and you may find something you can't live without! I can't wait to be there in a couple of weeks!

Cleveland
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What bus from St. John's to Nelson's Dockyard?

Nelson's Dockyard is a great place to spend the day and the night.

Neat stuff to see, the old shipyard is very interesting and the restaurants are great. If you like boats, yacht and ships you will be in Heaven!

Let alone a nest little town on the sea.

Reply to: What bus from St. John's to Nelson's Dockyard?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about English Harbour
More English Harbour Topics