We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rooms, whats the difference?

Gosport, Hampshire
6 posts
Save Topic
Rooms, whats the difference?

We've just booked 10 days in a honeymoon room & didn't realise it's in the old part of the resort. Has anyone stayed in that part? If so is it ok? I'm really worried now as it's cost us a small fortune & we don't want to end up hating it.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rooms, whats the difference?

What hotel please. Did you book with an reputable agent who knows what they sell and knows you? Sometimes the older rooms are nice too at various places.

Gosport, Hampshire
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rooms, whats the difference?

Hi sorry, I forgot to put the resort! It's sandals, we keep hearing horror stories & are really worried now, so any advice would be good.

Thanks

Kerry

camberley uk
Level Contributor
229 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rooms, whats the difference?

Never stayed there so I can't really comment but I'm going to have a rant.

I knew Dickenson Bay before before the Sandals extension. The old part of Sandals fitted fine and looked nice - low rise buildings, restaurant by the beach etc. In May when I went to Dickenson Bay it still did.

I though the Sandals extension was horrible, completely out of character for the area and the island and an eysore with what looked like five or six storey buildings completely open and visible from the sea. Yuk, Yuk, Yuk.

Dickenson Bay is nice and Antigua is great so enjoy your holiday. Walk along the beach past new (yuk) Sandals, the Beach reataurant and Antigua Village to find the Coconut Grove restaurant - just what a caribbean restaurant should be.

england
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rooms, whats the difference?

hi

we were there 8 weeks ago and had originally booked the cv side. However after hearing "horror stories" we upgraded to the new med side it was fantastic the rooms are spacious with a big bathroom and everything is brand new.

alot of people we met said the rooms in the older part were fine and if there was problems in them they were moved to a new room. Some of them have been recentaly reburbished and others are in need of the make over...

if you want 100% guarentee that your room will be perfect then look at upgrading. On the otherhand a lot of people who get there are booked on the old side find they have been up graded for free but thats a chance you take !!!

a room is a room but if like me i needed to know it was defanitly nice.... that aside the resort is fantastic and loads to do you will have a great time!!

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rooms, whats the difference?

I agree about the Coconut Grove beach bar. It's great and the rum cocktails are to die for....well fall of your bar stool for!

It's a few years since we visited. Is Wesley the barman still there? He was great. Many characters frequent the place and it has a really good atmosphere.

Jackie

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
39 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rooms, whats the difference?

my husband and i were just there 5 weeks ago in the carb. side in a beachfront rondaval and wouldn't have changed a thing the med. side is pretty but more like staying at a marriot yes the rooms are older but still very well kept our tub was very small that would be my only complaint but like i said i wouldn't have changed a thing, i loved our room and the location was perfect.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
459 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rooms, whats the difference?

scivs when are you going?

8. Re: Rooms, whats the difference?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 03:47
Get answers to your questions about St. John's