We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Butler Service - Do you have to Tip them?

Baltimore
Level Contributor
371 posts
8 reviews
Butler Service - Do you have to Tip them?

Since its all inclusive and that is suppose to include gratuity are you suppose to tip your Butler at the end of your stay?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Butler Service - Do you have to Tip them?

Yes, that is the only tipping you have to do. Well, i guess you dont HAVE to, but they do A LOT for you.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Butler Service - Do you have to Tip them?

I agree 100% with sdsuindian's reply. Unless they have changed, you will probably have two---a day butler from 7:00 to 3:00 and then one from 3:00 to 9:00 or so.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
134 reviews
3. Re: Butler Service - Do you have to Tip them?

I have been to several all inclusives, 4 cruises to Bermuda and several tip included properties. I always tip someone who has made my trip extra special. It's good karma and the right thing to do in my way of thinking.

uk
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Butler Service - Do you have to Tip them?

Hello,

We got married in sandals in november. On arrival we asked our butler about tipping. He gave us a letter from within our pack up saying that the butlers are the only people that can be tipped signed by the manager. Our butler's where great and we where glad to tip him. As a rough guide to how much the general consensus was £100 ($200) per butler per week.

Enjoy your holiday.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
91 reviews
5. Re: Butler Service - Do you have to Tip them?

We tip our butlers depending how they are -- last trip one butler was just ok and the other was outstanding. The spa people also may receive tips.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
460 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Butler Service - Do you have to Tip them?

I think giving the butle 50.00 at the beggining of the week and then another 50.00 at the end is generous, if they go beyond their duties then 100.00 at the end is good. Any one eles have any idea on tipping etiquet and perhapes spelling,lol.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
371 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Butler Service - Do you have to Tip them?

We tip our butler very little. We were prepared and willing to tip them up to $150 - $200 US but the service wasn't that great.

They often forgot things and we had to ask for the special touches they provide. (cooler, decorating the room, cell service)

We compared our butler to the other couples we met and we felt our butler didn't deserve the generous tip.

work
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: Butler Service - Do you have to Tip them?

We have a Butler room in Oct, I find it quite strange that we are expected to tip the Butlers but not other staff, aren't the Butlers just doping their job. Here in the UK our society is not "tip" orientated like it is in other parts of the world. Saying that I will tip exceptional service, but I can't agree that normal service should be tipped.

I just hope the Butler for his sake, is able to offer me and the Mrs exceptional service.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
91 reviews
9. Re: Butler Service - Do you have to Tip them?

I suspect the butlers get lower base pay. From what we have heard at a variety of Sandals and from several butlers, it's a highly sought-after position. Some of them really do provide service worth tipping.

On our last visit to Sandals Antigua, one butler, Clifford, actually went to Mama Lolly's in St John's to get us some special vegetarian food. Also, the internet was down on most of the island for about a day. Within a couple of minutes of it being up, he called us on the butler cell phone so we could access the 2 public computers ASAP to check flight details before hordes of others got there. Needless to say, he got a good tip -- I think $150 or so for a 6-day stay. The other butler was only okay, sometimes not following up on things, so we didn't tip as much.

We tend to leave the tip on the credit card at the end of the stay, specifying how much for each.

10. Re: Butler Service - Do you have to Tip them?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 18:49
Get answers to your questions about St. John's
Recent Conversations