We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Name?

iowa
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Hotel Name?

We stopped at Antigua on a cruise. And the cab driver we had took us to a beach that he called...little frye beach. There was a resturant up on the hill that looked out over what he called little frybe beach and large frye beach. I can't seem to find the names of these beachs anywhere...so wondering if there is a different name for them. Besides the two beachs there was a hotel up on the hill at the end of the larger beach. We were looking to find out what the name of the hotel is ..we would like to go back to Antigua and loved this location. And suggestions on the beachs or does anyone know what hotel I am reffering too?? Thanks so much!!

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,696 posts
103 reviews
1. Re: Hotel Name?

The beaches are called Ffryes (with two f's) and the restaurant you're thinking of is Dennis Cocktail Bar and Restaurant

If you mean the nearby hotel (right by Little Ffryes), that's Cocobay. If you are talking about the hillside resort you see in the distance beyond the next beach (Valley Church Beach) that would be Cocos.

purley
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Hotel Name?

It sounds like Coco's hotel the beach with the restaurant (think this is dennis's) is called little Ffryes beach.

iowa
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Hotel Name?

Thanks!!! It was Dennis's!!! Now that I hear the name I remember!! Thanks for the information and the hotel names!!!

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,696 posts
103 reviews
4. Re: Hotel Name?

Kelly - Cocos is the one at the end of Jolly Beach (and next to Valley Church beach). It's Cocobay that's below Dennis at Ffryes.

purley
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Hotel Name?

Thanks george i find those two very confusing they are so close and sound so similar !!! or perhaps i am just a bit blonde :-)))

iowa
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Hotel Name?

Is that a good area to stay or what beaches/areas would you recommend to look at?? Since we were on the cruise we didn't get to be in Antigua very long and that was the only place we really went to. But would love to go back..it is one of the most beautiful places!!

Lake District, UK
Level Contributor
851 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Hotel Name?

I always thought that it should be spelt with two "f"'s, but I noticed the other day that my map spells the headland where Cocobay is located "Fryes Point".

There are lots of Google entries for both spellings. I wonder what the definitive answer is.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Hotel Name?

The sign on the main road has two "f's". I just checked my photo of it. There is a government coat of arms on this sign, so I would say two "f's" is the "official" spelling.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,696 posts
103 reviews
9. Re: Hotel Name?

I've only ever seen one of the f's missed off in American publications. I believe the name comes from the estate that was once there.

10. Re: Hotel Name?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 00:45