We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antigua vs Barbados

georgia
3 posts
Save Topic
Antigua vs Barbados

Suggestions -

I have been to Barbados for one day on a cruise. I have always wanted to go back there. I have wanted to visit Antigua as well. We are looking for a couples only resort with the fun and excitement still close to the island activities. We love to dive, beaches, water sports, excursions and good shopping and food. Can anyone spread a little light on my situation?

Thanks

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antigua vs Barbados

It seems to me, "kjord18", that Sandals, on Dickenson Bay, may well be the only resort that might promise all that you have aspired to experience while on ANU.

Cheers and good luck,

Wirral UK
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
796 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antigua vs Barbados

Hi Kjord18.

Agree with above, Sandals Antigua is spot on, adults only, very romanitc place, great west facing beach and free diving. Ticks all the boxes and takes some beating.

No adults only in Barbados that I can think of, but some fine hotels. Almond Beach, not adults only, but has a very nice adults only pool for some quiet time. Crystal Cove - small and cultured. West coast has fab beaches and is very relaxed.

Antigua or Barbados? Tough decision as both v nice.

N&B

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antigua vs Barbados

I've been to both islands and to me the advantage of choosing Antigua is that you can do a fabulous day trip to Barbuda, ANU's gorgeous sister island. Dreamy beaches with really good snorkeling plus the Frigate Bird Sanctuary is a unique experience. Gin clear water awaits you on Barbuda, a truly off the beaten track island.

BIM is okay in my book....More to do in Antigua I think.

If you do settle on BIM, be sure to spend an afternoon at Crane's Beach in Bathsheba, my favorite part of the island.

Cheers!

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antigua vs Barbados

Don't want to start a row, but I would say there was more to do in Bim than Ant, love both but I usually say that Ant. is more suited to a relaxing laid back beach & nature holiday whereas Bim is more up on the nightlife, the gap & such + there are lots of restaurants as well.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antigua vs Barbados

No row JohntheDog...LOL These forums are all about everyone expressing their opinion. You're probably right about more night life in BIM, when I lived in St. Lucia, we'd go to BIM for a "hot" weekend.

I do think Antigua is prettier than Barbados though.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Antigua vs Barbados

I would say avoid the all inclusive mills such as Sandals and find a nice mellow small intimate boutique style hotel. Unless you abhor kids why do you need couples only?? May I ask?? Avoid vacation weeks. Mid Jan. is a good time to travel as kids are in school.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Antigua vs Barbados

I hope they don't see this on the Bim forum - sssshh!! the beaches are better in Antigua,& unfortunately Bim is getting built on hand over hand especially the West coast,two of my favouite small hotels being sold off for "condo -isation" the creeping menace.

Brechin ON CA
Level Contributor
24 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Antigua vs Barbados

Just returned from Ocean Inn, English Harbour in Antigua & Antigua Village. Get to Antigua before it becomes overdeveloped like Barbados - it's closing in on it. Stayed 1 week @ Antigua Village which is next to Sandals - great spot on Dickenson Bay if that is the type of property you like. Preferred the intimate Ocean Inn - 10 units - overlooking the harbour - walk to beach, etc. Do Shirley Heights Sunday night - good fun, food & ambiance.

9. Re: Antigua vs Barbados

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 11:48