We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antigua or Barbados

Essex, United...
4 posts
Antigua or Barbados
Save

Hi all,

Looking to go either Antigua or Barbados in October for our honeymoon, as we’re slightly restricted on Caribbean islands due to Covid.

I’ve been reading they both are quite rainy in October, what would you say is the driest? We’ve found hotels we like in both so it’s just a matter of going with the driest place.

TIA

14 replies to this topic
Burnstown, Canada
Level Contributor
618 posts
37 reviews
14 helpful votes
1. Re: Antigua or Barbados
Save

Kirsty,before you decide,check the COVID protocols.

I am a huge fan of Barbados,we were married there 13 years ago and have been going for the last 15 winters(except last year).

We are booked to be there next February but would not go if the current conditions remain as-is..

The island is only 32% vaccinated,I think Antigua is much higher-Barbados is allowing non-vaxed visitors in,though they must quarantine for 5 days and test negative.

The PM announced yesterday that there will not be a mandate to vaccinate front-line or health workers,so that vaccination % will not increase dramatically,there is a fair amount of opposition to the vaccines on the island.

The kicker for us is fully vaxed visitors have to test 3 days prior to leaving(OK),test on arrival(OK),quarantine in a government-approved accommodation until the test results come back(sort of OK,but costly)and,if you have the misfortune of testing positive,they send you to a “hospital facility” to isolate until you test negative.

You can check the Barbados forum,there are 2 threads running currently-NG..

So as much as I love our island paradise,we are already looking at alternatives,and we were in Antigua a couple of years ago for a pre-winter,one week getaway and really liked it.

Do the research and enjoy wherever you decide to go!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Antigua or Barbados
Save

As the other poster said, read up on the rules, I think Antigua wins on ease of entry. I believe Barbados is one of just a hand full of islands that will put you in quarantine if someone on the plane tests positive and you were physically close to them. No thank you!

We are doing Antigua in November. And while I expect the 7day PCR test to be moved to 5 or 3 days, I’m thinking the trip is a go. I’m also thinking more islands will go to vaccinated only entry, just a guess. We are going to Barbuda as well for a few nights.

Edited: 23 August 2021, 00:41
Essex, United...
4 posts
3. Re: Antigua or Barbados
Save

Thanks for the reply, I’m terms of both islands which would you say is the driest in October?

Burnstown, Canada
Level Contributor
618 posts
37 reviews
14 helpful votes
4. Re: Antigua or Barbados
Save

#3 Kirsty I have not been to Barbados in October,but in doing a quick Google search,historically they are both rainy months for each destination,about 15 days each.

However keep in mind many times it’s a small accumulation,we were in Barbados in August one year and only had one write-off day where it poured constantly..

Either way it will be hot!

Edited: 23 August 2021, 01:20
Aberdeenshire...
Level Contributor
43 posts
5. Re: Antigua or Barbados
Save

Hi Kirsty

Antigua is a little drier in my experience, I have spent several October/ November’s in both and whilst you can’t predict year on year, I have had more downpours in Barbados that Antigua. That being said in either place the showers are over quickly.

Barbados protocols are a lot less welcoming than Antigua as others have said too.

Good luck wherever you go.

Essex, United...
4 posts
6. Re: Antigua or Barbados
Save

Perfect thank you all for your help!

Exeter
Level Contributor
349 posts
39 reviews
38 helpful votes
7. Re: Antigua or Barbados
Save

Jammie, the covidvax.live site reports 34% fully vaccinated in Antigua and 32% in Barbados, so not a big difference.

Over the last month infection rates in Barbados have been broadly level, whereas in Antigua rates are increasing at an alarming rate (possibly why it is reported that the UK will move Antigua to amber list on Wednesday).

Bottom line is if you are travelling in 2 or 3 months time, nobody knows what the state of play will be.

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,334 posts
40 reviews
73 helpful votes
8. Re: Antigua or Barbados
Save

The Government of Antigua has announced new entry requirements which may affect your decision.

https://antiguaobserver.com/hotels-in-ab-set-to-accept-only-vaccinated-guests/

Burnstown, Canada
Level Contributor
618 posts
37 reviews
14 helpful votes
9. Re: Antigua or Barbados
Save

#7 thanks for the info Exeter-for some reason I thought Antigua was doing much better,obviously not..

Yes you are completely right,trying to predict what will happen is about as predictable as a slot machine in Vegas.

Will have to be patient and see how things develop..

London, England...
Level Contributor
109 posts
31 reviews
60 helpful votes
10. Re: Antigua or Barbados
Save

There are some great holiday weather sites which allow you to compare weather records month by month. I did this when planning my holiday for September. Antigua has lower rainfall than Barbados on average at this time.

https://www.myweather2.com/HOLIDAY-DESTINATIONS/ANTIGUA-AND-BARBUDA/ANTIGUA/CLIMATE-PROFILE.ASPX?month=10

https://www.myweather2.com/Holiday-Destinations/Barbados/Bridgetown/climate-profile.aspx?month=10

Though tbh having read about the Covid isolation policy in Barbados, I would not go there at present.

Reply to: Antigua or Barbados
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Antigua
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.