We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not beach people/shoppers- 9 hr and stuck on Dec 25th:(

Fleming Island...
Level Contributor
189 posts
135 reviews
Not beach people/shoppers- 9 hr and stuck on Dec 25th:(

We are arriving on Celebrity Reflection on Dec 25th- 7 am-4 pm. We are active and love snorkeling, diving, hiking, canyoning, repelling whatever that is active just not sitting on a beach...I am genuinely stuck. I contacted Eli's tour- don't operate on Christmas day, contacted Jabberwocky- not operating that day either. Wadadli Cats offer only 3hr snorkeling through our cruise ship and it will be packed-their website does not work, not responsive to e-mails plus there was a stabbing back in August so I really do not know about that. Excellence Power Catamaran had recent 1 star reviews so kind of iffy. I really do not know what to do at this point. Cannot imagine staying on the ship!!!We are not your average cruisers, we cruise to experience the island from the water and then if the marine life suits us- we come back properly for 7 days. We treat cruises as samplers of the Caribbean. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it!!!!

14 replies to this topic
Frenchtown, NJ
Level Contributor
360 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Not beach people/shoppers- 9 hr and stuck on Dec 25th:(

Hi Kloos, What stabbing are you talking about? If you want to try to book the Wadadli through a contact I have, he is pretty responsive. His Whatsapp is +1 268-724-6078. His name is Duvall. Tell him Kris L. gave you his number. He can book you anything you want and he charged me the same price as on the website. Since it's Christmas probably hard not to find an all day event but good luck! I did the circumnavigation it was great!

Frenchtown, NJ
Level Contributor
360 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Not beach people/shoppers- 9 hr and stuck on Dec 25th:(

Also, maybe bring your own snorkel gear and rent a car or get a taxi and go to one of the beaches where you can snorkel from the beach? Then when it gets crowed after lunch, go on a hike? Or, maybe you could volunteer your time to a chairty on island if you can't find something to occupy your day. I'm sure you won;t be stuck on your ship.

Fleming Island...
Level Contributor
189 posts
135 reviews
3. Re: Not beach people/shoppers- 9 hr and stuck on Dec 25th:(

https:/…

Above, about stabbing. There are also videos online that you can watch of the whole "event". We will have our snorkeling gear but heard that snorkeling off the beach is bad.... We have rented a car many times and snorkeled off the beach on a cruise but the snorkeling was really good. Do you have any recommendations where the snorkeling is good? Thank you very much for your time and suggestions...

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
418 reviews
4. Re: Not beach people/shoppers- 9 hr and stuck on Dec 25th:(

Hi kloos,

We have been with Antigua Reef Riders at Cades Reef last week which is supposed to be the best in Antigua.The reef is average and the quantity of marine wildlife is less than what we have seen in The Indian Ocean/Pacific but still ok. We have snorkeled with a hawksbill turtle and with a group of surgeons.

Miki

Fleming Island...
Level Contributor
189 posts
135 reviews
5. Re: Not beach people/shoppers- 9 hr and stuck on Dec 25th:(

Miki,We are interested only in a boat that has some shade e.g power catamaran that has a bathroom. Are either of the ones you experienced shaded bigger boats?

thank you

Frenchtown, NJ
Level Contributor
360 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Not beach people/shoppers- 9 hr and stuck on Dec 25th:(

That stabbing looks like an unfortunate, isolated incident started by an angry, entitled drunk. They give you alcohol on board so that's always an unpredictable situation. The crew is fantastic and professional. The sea was rough when i was there and snorkeling wasn't that great when I went. I compare everything to my experience in Hawaii, so it all pales in comparison. Reefs are dying everywhere, especially the ones where everyone goes. Someone I know who has been all over on a private cat said the best snorkeling was Dominica. Maybe you can get over to Barbuda?

Fleming Island...
Level Contributor
189 posts
135 reviews
7. Re: Not beach people/shoppers- 9 hr and stuck on Dec 25th:(

Thank you very much Feelinggroovy. I did contact Wadadli again. We will see.

3 posts
8. Re: Not beach people/shoppers- 9 hr and stuck on Dec 25th:(

If you are not that keen on sitting on a beach, why not go to English Harbour for a bit of Georgian navel history. Nice to walk around, visit the small but interesting museum, and gawp at the yachts. You could hire a car or take a taxi, and from there go up to Shirley Heights to spectacular views.

Fleming Island...
Level Contributor
189 posts
135 reviews
9. Re: Not beach people/shoppers- 9 hr and stuck on Dec 25th:(

Amanda N,thank you for trying to help. However, we only visit the ports to dive and snorkel. We are only interested in marine life so that if we like it, we come back properly via air.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
418 reviews
10. Re: Not beach people/shoppers- 9 hr and stuck on Dec 25th:(

You should try also Indian and Pacific Ocean to see the big difference vs Caribbean snorkeling and diving. We come to Caribbean islands for the peace and serenity mainly, for snorkeling and diving we go to Red Sea, Raja Ampat, Palawan or Komodo Island.

Coming back to your question we have been on a day cruise around the island with Excellence Catamaran a 80 ft power catamaran which sometimes can be very crowded.

Miki

Reply to: Not beach people/shoppers- 9 hr and stuck on Dec 25th:(
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Antigua