We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2nd visit!

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
2nd visit!

We are returning in March after our first wonderful visit last Feb. Looking for new ideas! We're staying again on Falmouth Harbour. Last year we ate at restaurants around English Harbour ( Yacht Club area), which we loved but want to try others! Driving at night any farther would be a challenge, so we'd take a taxi. Did a Thurs. night at Shirley Heights and will go back! Beach most visited was OJ's. I wouldn't mind doing a little shopping (not high end, but a little nicer than the tee shirt places)

Thanks in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
1. Re: 2nd visit!

You did not mention Catherine’s - which is just over the hill behind Falmouth - effectively looking out across the entrance of Falmouth Harbour to the open sea. High end with nice atmosphere.- music on Saturday lunchtime.

If you were happy going as far as OJ’s then continue another 4or 5 minutes further north along coast road to Sheer Rocks for a great tapas lunch . Not on a beach but it has a small plunge pool so take swimwear to enjoy some fantastic cocktails before enjoying a long lingering lunch with views out over the turquoise sea.

If you enjoy fish try PapaZouk’s in the suburbs of St Johns . Set in an unprepossesing back street it is a fish and rum restarant. Excellent choice of freshly caught local fish cooked in a selection of styles and a large collection of rums. Make a night of it.

Shopping . Sad to say you have come to the wrong island . There are just a few nice small shops in a square set back from the sea behind Redcliffe Quay together with a couple of “bite of lunch “ type restaurants but otherwise the remainder of cruise ship shopping in Heritage Quay is rather generic - jewellery, watches , Levi’s and just one nice swimwear shop together inevitably with lots of t shirts etc. A couple of hours ( even with lunch) might well suffice .

Edited: 18 November 2018, 06:52
Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
192 reviews
2. Re: 2nd visit!

Top tier restaurants, along with the ones named by skippernic, also include Jacqui O's and Le Bistro.

Second tier down but excellent are La Bussola, and Cecelia's (for lunch).

Excellent mid-tier is Stella's, Papa Zouk (as skippernic mentioned), and we also like Boom for lunch.

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: 2nd visit!

Thanks for the info! Last year we ate at Papa's, Antigua Yacht Club,Bar B's, Flatties, Cloggy's , Life on the Corner, Club House, a pizza place with yummy escargot! Didn't really wander away from that area.Went back to some a couple of times!

Kept going to close-by Pigeon Beach, but Bumpkins only opened once for lunch, so we gave up!

Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
4. Re: 2nd visit!

Your remark “ Beach most visited was OJs” and “ we’d take a taxi” did rather sound like you moved about last time and were looking to do so more this time , so sorry for misunderstanding and giving suggestions for places around the island .

Catherine’s on the other hand is just the other end of Pidgeon Beach from Bumkins and is very definitely open - though in a rather different league.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
192 reviews
5. Re: 2nd visit!

Winder77, then I have more suggestions for you in the English Harbour area that you didn't get to last time.

Le Cap Horn is chef-run and has been around for decades. We really like the more "formal" dining room, which isn't formal at all, but has an Antiguan elegance about it. The restaurant also has a pizza-side, but the other side is just so worthwhile. It's really one of my favourite restaurants on the island; and believe me, when it comes to eating out I really get around!!!! (I may be the "foodiest" of all the TA Antigua Destination Experts).

I've also had some good meals (lunches and dinners) at Southpoint Hotel. It's an interesting place for Antigua, because it has a minimalist Asian atmosphere. The food is pretty good, and you can have a table so close to the water it's possible to fall in.

Sun Ra is good for dinner. I reviewed it here on TA about 8 months ago.

Over the years I've had up-and-down experiences with Bumpkins, so finally gave up and haven't been there in a few years. I'm not a fan, because our last experience was sort of gross. Catherines is definitely in a different league, and you absolutely need reservations......they are constantly turning people away.

I mentioned Boom in my previous post, and it's another English Harbour area place that 's worthwhile and fun. I reviewed that one also last winter----do check my review because as much as we liked it, there were some glitches.

Reply to: 2nd visit!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Antigua