We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirits into Antigua

kiddy
Level Contributor
453 posts
298 reviews
Spirits into Antigua

Can you take whisky/vodka / rum into Antigua from England or is it cheaper to buy there ?

5 replies to this topic
Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Spirits into Antigua

Premium brand whisky and vodka probably cheaper in a UK supermarket. Rum definitely cheaper in Antigua ... taking rum there would be like taking curls to Newcassle, like, canny lad.

Be aware you will be subject to duty free free allowances on arrival and there is a customs declaration form you need to fill.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,823 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: Spirits into Antigua

Actually, pretty much all spirits are cheaper in Antigua - even compared to UK duty free. Waitrose vodka (for example) is the equivalent of about £6 per litre...

Do buy from the supermarket rather than smaller shops though - the Epicurean is very well stocked (you can get some great rums, both local and regional). There's also the duty free store at Heritage Quay - make sure you bring your homebound flight details to qualify. If you want to pay by card in a supermarket, you'll need picture ID (they prefer a passport).

kiddy
Level Contributor
453 posts
298 reviews
3. Re: Spirits into Antigua

Hi,you mentioned duty free allowances on arrival .Not sure what you are referring to so can you explain please

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Spirits into Antigua

When you arrive you are have a duty free allowance on certain goods. At the moment this is 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 250g tobacco, 1 litre wine or spirits, 170ml (6ozs) perfume per person.

If you bring more than that you are obliged to declare it on your customs form, and you will be obliged to pay duty (ie an additional tax) on it. Simples.

I'd take Mizgeorge's advice though; I thought the prices on premium brands were more expensive there but clearly I was shopping in the wrong stores!

There are, btw, local versions of most spirits that are very cheap in the supermarkets, and acceptable in mixed drinks. All except the gin. If you drink gin, I'd bring a bottle with you as the local stuff tastes very wonky.

Edited: 17 November 2018, 15:00
Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
6,521 posts
418 reviews
5. Re: Spirits into Antigua

The cheapest rum I have ever found is in St. John’s in the area of Heritage Quay the dutyfree area. You need to show the passport and your departure flight booking and you can buy English Harbour 5 yrs old at 14$ or if you want something special you can buy Zacapa 23 at 65$. I did not buy anything from the dutyfree because prices were higher than at Heritage Quay.

Miki

Reply to: Spirits into Antigua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Antigua