We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

9 posts
Where to stay?

Planning a trip to Antigua in Feb or March next year with my wife and 10 month old baby.

I've never been to the Caribbeans but I think I want to go to Antigua since it has nice beaches and not too commercialized like Aruba.

Our main goal is just to relax and enjoy the weather.

Not interested in snorkeling or drinking/nightlife.

Just want clean, beautiful beach with calm water.

Which part of the island should I stay in?

Any specific hotels, villas that you would recommend?

We are thinking 4-5 nights and max $400 per night.

I just want somewhere clean, safe, and close to the beach.

Also, what's a good website to book hotels? I've not traveled outside the US so not sure where to look at.

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 16 November 2018, 10:40
7 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
172 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Where to stay?

I'd say stay on the west coast where you have plenty of the best beaches within reach.

That side has all types of accommodation and resorts.

It all depends on your budget and your needs.

Everywhere is practically safe, you don't need to have any heightened worry on this island compared to other places.

If you want All inclusive - Coco Bay (smaller and more intimate), Carlisle Bay or Curtain Bluff. There's also St James Club which has two practically private beaches with a lot of space to walk around, then there is Pineapple Beach Resort and plenty of other All inclusives which are good. All of these places have very good security and only let guests in whilst we've stayed.

For self catering you can have a look at villas in Jolly Harbour.

Plenty of people on TripAdvisor have different experiences with different villa rental companies who can step in and help guide you, same goes for booking sites for the hotels.

Not in the West coast:

Blue water resort is very nice - check it out..

There's also ocean point which is not high end but quite nice and have shuttles to different areas if you want to check them out and take you over to a deserted prickly pear island for a fee and include drinks. Non such bay resort also has a shuttle inclusive for guests going over to an island next to their resort. I love this option - just relax in your own island feeling.

Do you not want to see the rest of the island by renting a car? Visit other beaches? Go on a jeep safari excursion or something?

Good luck!

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,845 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay?

I'd pretty much agree with the above - but forget Cocobay or Pineapple - both (like many other resorts) are adult's only.

From personal experience, we found travelling with a baby much easier when we had a villa, with kitchen facilities and more space/privacy than you'll ever find in a hotel room. And way, way less than your budget - which would let you eat out at a much bigger range of places if you wish.

Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
3. Re: Where to stay?

A villa on south Finger in Jolly Harbour provides a two bedroom / two bathroom base with kitchen, and dining/ living area. They all come with a deck overlooking the water ( so check that deck with be baby proof if the young one is on the move) That point applies wherever you choose to stay. Antiguans love babies but that does not translate into places been free of hazards for young ones - take note, ) Do add in the essential hire of a golf buggy and you are good to go.

Within 4/5 mins buggy ride your have one of the larger supermarkets on the island ( none are that big by US standards) but sufficient to self cater for a week with ease. ( come back another time to ask for advice on items you should bring for the baby).

Crucially you also have a nice beach less than 5 buggy minutes away with a bar/ restarant, chairs and umbrellas to hire ( shade essential at all times for the little one because sun is much stronger than Florida throughout the year) . In the other direction ( again less than 5 buggy minutes) are about 6 different restaurants to relieve Mum ( or Dad) of some catering duties.

Self catering does mean you can deal with breakfast “ at home “ at the time and pace to suit your family ( remember it is supposed to be a break for the whole family) - easier than having to get little one up and dressed just to go get breakfast in a resort ( at their times not yours) .

The only trick is to get one of the nicer villas , so when you have a specific one in mind , come back to TA and ask about that specific numbered villa.

There are good and bad ones , but someone on this forum can often tell you which is which.

Air BNB is becoming a popular source of some of the better ones - but do still try to get that second opinion from this forum. Just ask a fresh question quoting the actual villa number in the question “ Anyone been to Villa x or y”

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Where to stay?

There are lots and lots of Jolly Harbour villas, with reviews, list on TA.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/VacationRental…

maine
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Where to stay?

We are leaving Sunday for another two weeks at Jolly Harbour. We rent through homeaway but stay in north finger. We rent the owners golf cart and love after a day at the beach/pool to go back to the villa and make a nice meal. Its further from the jolly harbour beach but there is a beach very close but more shells on it. It's about a 7/10 minute ride via golf cart to bars, beach, grocery stores etc! Cant go wrong beautiful! Enjoy

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Where to stay?

Possibly the most child friendly hotel/beach combination on the island is Carlisle Bay, as it's a gently shelving beach in a protected bay with clear calm water and clean sand. It's a beautiful, well-run hotel. Some of the rooms open directly onto the beach too, meaning minimal hassle taking sprog to water.

Whether it comes in within budget though is probably between you and the internet.

London, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: Where to stay?

Hi Jaehoppa. One thing also to add if you have never visited the Caribbean is that there has been a real problem across the Caribbean with Sargassum seaweed. We have all experienced normal levels of seaweed on any beaches at some point or another but this seaweed is very thick, bad smelling and is making a lot of Caribbean beaches unsuitable for swimming. I have never been to Antigua and am looking to travel there next year but last year we were in Barbados and were unable to use our beach as it was covered in seaweed for most of the holiday. The hotels do as best they can to clear it daily but at times it is very unpleasant smelling and especially in Barbados last year, it was extremely thick and discoloured the water making the crystal blue waters look brown and unpleasant. In the mornings the beach was absolutely covered in it and until the beach was cleared you were unable to even sit on it.

Of course, this may not be of importance to you but I just wanted to make you aware of it. I am told in Antigua, as with Barbados, the West Coast is unaffected by the Sargassum and therefore if you do choose to travel to Antigua and want to use the beaches with some certainty, I would opt for a hotel/villa on the West Coast so as to not arrive and find the same conditions that we did when we went to Barbados. We certainly wish we had known to book on the West Coast before booking Barbados.

Reply to: Where to stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Antigua