We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel agents?

Minnetrista...
Level Contributor
287 posts
17 reviews
13 helpful votes
Travel agents?
Save

Ok, this question doesn't relate specifically to Anguilla, but you all travel a lot here, so it's still a good thing to ask. Do people still use travel agents? I've been reading other forums and I read a lot of people saying "I asked my travel agent..."

I used to love to use a travel agent. I planned all our trips through them, and it was so much fun. I guess when the internet hit the scene, I thought people didn't use them anymore? Any thoughts? Maybe as my kids would say, I'm just out of touch with things...

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
7 reviews
14 helpful votes
1. Re: Travel agents?
Save

We use our agent's services for everything but Anguilla. She has great recommendations and gives us great perks like upgrades and complimentary breakfast, etc.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
8,743 posts
10 reviews
24 helpful votes
2. Re: Travel agents?
Save

If you are lucky enough to have found a TA that you trust and who you think understands your needs, why not? Takes all the hassle out of travel plans. Sometimes a TA has connections that will get you upgrades, which is another good reason to go with one.

Having said that, actually, I am my own TA simply because I just love researching and studying and doing it all myself.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
480 posts
3 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: Travel agents?
Save

I still use one! She's been great and knows AXA well! I don't need it so much for the hotel, but she takes the worry about of booking my air and insurance!

Devon, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
25 reviews
27 helpful votes
4. Re: Travel agents?
Save

We use a Travel Agent for foreign trips and river type cruises (we NEVER do big ships). The reason is the perks but also the assurance that there is someone we can call if an issue. I usually book our own air, though, unless she can get us what we want with no additional fee (usually only if air is also booked with a package) or unless the air is part of the package.

We do not use a Travel Agent to book Anguilla, mostly because we stay in villas and not hotels. We DO use an on island agent to book the villa, though, also because if there's a problem, we have someone to call. We've booked a villa on AXA without an agent twice. One, the owners were great to work with and very helpful-thanks Rel-axa (we didn't stay there again because we like West End better than East End). The other, the place was not as advertised and had "issues".

Bottomline. Travel Agents have resources that can help; can coordinate private tours & drivers, etc and if a package is booked. If renting a villa on AXA or any other island, IMHO it's better to use a local booking Agent. (Gayle at MyCaribbean for us this year)

Maybe that's TMI but worth maybe 2 cents?

Edited: 7 years ago
Rotonda West...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
29 reviews
76 helpful votes
5. Re: Travel agents?
Save

Thanks for the positive comments gals. I am a travel agent, and can attest to all the positives you listed. We charge a fee if we are booking just air tickets, but for tours, cruises, hotels, we are paid commission. If it's no cost to you, why not take advantage of the knowledge, and a lifeline if you need it.

Minnetrista...
Level Contributor
287 posts
17 reviews
13 helpful votes
6. Re: Travel agents?
Save

Well, I have to say that's awesome! Thank you for all the great responses. I learned something new, not to mention helpful. The forum members can always be counted on!

Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
7. Re: Travel agents?
Save

Whenever our travel agent (and also friend) can get a commission, we use her. Even for Anguilla. She knows the island well. She booked our 3 week European trip for us, and was perfect. The only thing we do on our own as far as booking is our airfare.

8. Re: Travel agents?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2015, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Anguilla
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.