We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency to Take

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
555 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Currency to Take

Staying 3 nights in Singapore before travelling to Bali and staying at the Grand Mirage.

Not sure how to take my spending money as bank with LTSB and drawing from their debit card is expensive. Will I be able to cash travel cheques?

Any help appreciated

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,563 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency to Take

Yes, you'll be able to take sterling travellers cheques and exchange them in Bali. You get a slightly lower exchange rate than exchanging cash; you get around 2.5p per pound less. You'll also need to take your passport with you when you make the exchange with travellers cheques which some people find inconvenient.

A word about Lloyds TSB, they have a nasty habit of blocking your card for a fraud check when you try to use it in Asia (in Singapore and Bali), even if you register with their scheme where you tell them where and when you're going. Have their telephone banking number to hand in case this happens to you.

You can exchange cash (pounds) quite easily in both Bali and Singapore.

You could look at a new credit card from Halifax, it's called the Clarity Card; no fees to use it worldwide and no cash withrawal fee:

www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity.asp

There are money exchange counters in Singapore Airport, where you can exchange cash or travellers cheques for Singapore dollars.

Edited: 10 July 2010, 15:02
Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,037 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency to Take

It is a good idea to take a reasonable amount of cash with you and exchange when you are there. I personally don't bother with travelers cheques and I always have at least 2 credit cards in case one gets lost / stolen. The exchange rate in tanjung benoa and nusa dua area is slightly lower than other parts of bali. You may wish to ask your driver to stop on the way to your hotel at an authorized money changer. check our link on the bali forum home page for hints about money, currency and exchanging in bali.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294226-i7220-Bali…

Stratford
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency to Take

Do you know if you can use American Dollars? as I see in Hotels and Excursion places they put prices in $.

I am going to both Bali and Singapore next year.

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
555 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency to Take

You will have a fantastic time we have just retunred. We took Singapore dollars and USA dollara that we changed into Ind Rupee to spend in Bali. However a lot of the excursion booths and water sports price in USA dollar and will accept these

If you have any furhter question please email me

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,563 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency to Take

Although you can pay at some places in dollars - tour offices and hotels, they'll happily just convert the dollar price into rupiah and you can pay in rupiah.

No point in changing pounds to dollars, then dollars to rupiah though, as you lose money twice on the exchange. I personally would just convert your pounds into rupiah and pay for everything in rupiah when there (apart from the Visa on Arrival).

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency to Take

Hi, Have a great Bali trip. As mentioned getting cash out of ATMs is expensive and as most only let you withdraw Au$200 at a time it is not the best way. Cash ( sterling ) is fine. The main office of PT Kuta Central, not far from the main Kuta shopping centre, will exchange large amounts. They display the exchange rate and give a computer print out of your transaction. You can check your cash as many times as you like without any pressure. Take care with your Indonesian notes as they have heaps of 0000000 and some colours are very similar. A good way is to work out a little check list for your self ie xxxxx Rupiah = your currency.

7. Re: Currency to Take

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2011, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Tanjung Benoa