We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquakes - should I be concerned????

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Earthquakes - should I be concerned????

I’m flying out to Bali in under 2 weeks....I’ve never been & I was very excited to be going!! However, over the last few days I see on the news tsunami & earthquakes hit Indonesia .....& now I’m starting to feel very anxious about my trip & thinking about cancelling - can anyone advise if earthquakes hit Bali, & if I should be this concerned?

I appreciate all your comments please :)

8 replies to this topic
Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
885 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Earthquakes - should I be concerned????

Indonesia is vast like USA. If something hit California, certainly Florida is still safe. Even if something hit Minnesota, Montana is still ok.

Until nowadays the closest earthquakes source to Bali is Lombok earthquake. This earthquake makes many buildings in radius 100 kilometers collapse/damage. But Lombok Airport is still ok, because the airport is designed to overcome certain Richter Scale of earthquake. Even garuda Wisnu kencana statue which it is taller and bigger than Liberty statue is designed to overcome 10.0 Richter Scale earthquake. Aceh earthquake is 9.0 RS.

Bali is far away from source of Lombok earthquake, so Bali is safe. Tanjung Benoa is also safe.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Earthquakes - should I be concerned????

1. Scroll through the forum

2. See the multitude of previous questions just like yours.

3. Read all the responses.

4. Make your own decision according to your own judgement.

Cheers

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Earthquakes - should I be concerned????

Thank you for your response, I really do appreciate it :)

Orange County...
Level Contributor
889 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Earthquakes - should I be concerned????

To be fair, comparing the size of Indonesia to the size of the USA isn't exactly accurate (it's 5 times larger), but yes, the Montana to Missouri comparison is close to the distance of where the tsunami was in Indonesia (Sulawesi) compared to Bali.

Though I'm still not sure how relatable that is for the OP, since they are from the UK, not USA.

5. Re: Earthquakes - should I be concerned????

Hi Sarwa G,

I am planning to travel to bali on october-8th, though i am not planning to visit lombok or gilli islands, do you live in indonesia?

I have spoke with hotel staff yesterday and they are recommending since there is no harm or effect to bali.

Thanks

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Earthquakes - should I be concerned????

Let’s all read the vast amount of info on this exact subject on this very Forum & then make up your own mind

Mac

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,532 posts
881 reviews
7. Re: Earthquakes - should I be concerned????

My son and his girlfriend were planning to visit Indonesia later this month and planned to visit Bandung, Bali and Yogyakarta and possibly some of the islands, but finally they cancelled, partly to do with the high number of earthquakes that have hit Indonesia recently. However, that wouldn't stop me from visiting Bali.

Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
885 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: Earthquakes - should I be concerned????

Certainly I live in Indonesia and I have seen that my concrete deck is like a small wave, but after maybe 5 seconds becomes flat again. It is called as ductility, because there are steel inside the concrete.

Ring of fire is through Indonesia, Japan and California.

Reply to: Earthquakes - should I be concerned????
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tanjung Benoa