We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware dodgy money exchange

Tanjung Benoa...
1 post
1 review
Beware dodgy money exchange

Despite warnings i have been ripped off by a dodgy money exchange in Bali. To save a few hundred Rupiah i was ripped off 500000 just with slight of hand. He is located 300 metres down the road from the holiday inn benoa towards Nusa Dua offering great rates of course. He distracted me and i was dumb enough to allow him to some how remove 50000x10 rupiah. My dumb fault but I dont want this to happen to any one else.

7 replies to this topic
Mortdale, Australia
Level Contributor
2,557 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: Beware dodgy money exchange

Go back and call him on it...most of the time they'll give you the money back. Higher rates are used to get you in...only authorised from now on ok!! Hope it works out

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Beware dodgy money exchange

Ditto Gidget61. Go back and in front of everyone call him out on it. Demand the money back calmly and firmly! And next time go to a reputable place! They are trained well to rip off customers.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,311 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: Beware dodgy money exchange

Hi rradonich,

perhaps you can be more specific because outside of the Holiday Inn towards Nusa Dua is an official "Central Kuta" branch inside the Circle K minimart.

Important to be specific especially as people often rely on "Authorised" Money Changers like 'Central Kuta' as being kosher.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
17 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: Beware dodgy money exchange

What they do is give you 50,000 notes instead of 100,000 to make it confusing. Then they count the money, and drop one of the piles. It happened to my parents too.

Rule of thumb, is avoid street money changers with higher rates than the others. They’re the rip off guys.

We went to a good one in the circle k store opposite the Holiday Inn. Or ask your hotel for a good place to go.

They need to count the money on the counter next to you, not low down. Get 100,000 notes.

UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Beware dodgy money exchange

Was it outside Dragonfly Spa? Same happened to us and we went back (with hotel security) and got our money back, we also did a statement for the police.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Beware dodgy money exchange

Are the central kuta exchanges inside the circle ks safe to use? There's one next door to my hotel but it's not listed on central kuta website so I'm not sure about using it.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
856 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Beware dodgy money exchange

There is a good exchange next to the NOVOTEL pt Ubud valasindo it has fluoro green signage on the beach side of jl pratama

Reply to: Beware dodgy money exchange
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tanjung Benoa