We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Average spirit prices

leeds UK
Level Contributor
164 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Average spirit prices

Going in March and whilst getting ready we enjoy a nice rum and a good g&t. Am I going to find prices expensive at the supermarket so should I take a bottle with me from duty free or is it cheaper in Bali. Thanks in advance.

Level Contributor
64 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Average spirit prices

Alcohol in Bali , especially spirits are very expensive. Even Heineken is now far more expensive than it was in years gone by.

The range of wines and spirits is not great and I strongly recommend you buy the rum and gin duty free prior to arriving in Bali as the arrival shop is not duty free as you would expect.

leeds UK
Level Contributor
164 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Average spirit prices

Thank you. Will take some with us.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Average spirit prices

I drink Scotch. at $35 a bottle here in Oz

The last time I looked the same bottle cost $80 a bottle at Lotte Mart, which is probably where you'll find the cheapest booze outside of the airport in Bali.

I never buy duty free alcohol at Denpasar Airport as I don't think it's cheaper than duty free in Australian airports

Edited: 20 February 2017, 19:47
Legian, Indonesia
Level Contributor
595 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Average spirit prices

You can buy Local rum and gin in Kuta for idr 125,000 - 680ml bottle about $12.50 Aus

It's quite good.

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Average spirit prices

Cheaper in the supermarkets in the UK than duty free at Heathrow.

Best to put in your "hold" luggage. Just wrap it carefully.

Only 1 litre per person!

The local whisky needs a lot of coke to make it drinkable!

Legian, Indonesia
Level Contributor
595 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Average spirit prices

Yes the whisky is rough - bring your own

I find the rum quite good but do mix it with either coconut water or Zero

New Zealand
Level Contributor
122 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Average spirit prices

If you put in your baggage or carry more that 1 litre each (of any type of alcohol) that you will have to pay a negotiated fine'tax at the airport. However it is definitely cheaper to carry in 1 litre of spirits each. This said - if you are transiting anywhere you will not be able to carry it through transit so only buy at your last transit point.

Overall spiritis are aboue 30-40% more costly (by the bottle) in Bali than in NZ. However they have a kinda drinkeable local vino called Plaga which is OK and about $9USD a bottle (equiv.). You can also make a pretty ok spritzer, cooler or iced tea type thing with it, some soda, spirits into it, some local fruit etc.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,364 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Average spirit prices

Stu&Mich, the latest talk is that Customs are not giving you the option to pay the tax on excess of 1 litre of alcohol entering Indonesia. They are confiscating it with no room for negotiations. I do not know if that is going to be their stance from now on but it appears for the time being it is.

leeds UK
Level Contributor
164 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Average spirit prices

Andrew P Is this available all over we are staying in the Ibis Tanjung Benoa, would it be available in supermarkets near by? thanks in advance for all the help

Legian, Indonesia
Level Contributor
595 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Average spirit prices

Its Robinson brand - the white rum and Vodka are both good, I get it at Bali Jaya Mart in Kuta near bemo corner 125.000 a bottle - it is available many other places but Bali Jaya is the cheapest place I know of - also there is a local premium spirit range called Vibe - 180,000 - I've only had the rum but it's good too.

Get answers to your questions about Tanjung Benoa