We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Road Trip - July 2016

Omaha, Nebraska
1 post
Family Road Trip - July 2016

Hi All,

I've read many reviews and really enjoy the feedback from the collective group. We try to road trip as a family every summer, and this upcoming summer we are strongly leaning towards the Oregon Coast.

We'll be spending 7-10 days in the area, and would love to rent a house by owner. We've used VRBO the past few summers and have had great success.

We have 3 kids 8.7.4. I'm reading great things about all the seaside towns, but I want to know which one is the best. We love exploring and being active but also want the opportunity for some RnR while the kids play on the beach.

Any information would be great, many thanks in advance!

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
307 reviews
1. Re: Family Road Trip - July 2016

Of course it would depend upon what you enjoy but off hand I'd recommend Newport as the best all around town. It would help to know more about what interests and activities that your group enjoys. Note that beaches on the Oregon coast are beautiful to beachcomb but there are extremely hazardous currents in the water and swimming in the surf is out of the question.

Renton, Washington
Level Contributor
5,246 posts
2. Re: Family Road Trip - July 2016

I agree with Eddie to a point. Seaside is designed for young kids...lots of arcades, etc, and the beach is every bit as good as Newport's. Plus, they get to stand with Lewis and Clark to look out at the ocean.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,993 posts
200 reviews
3. Re: Family Road Trip - July 2016

We went with VRBO for a family gathering at Cape Kiwanda in Pacific Beach a few years ago. We were right on the beach between two state parks. Great tide pooling, huge sand dune for you and the kids to climb, dory fishermen launching and landing their boats from the beach and Pelican Pub also right on beach. We did easy day trips to Newport, for a whale watching trip in Depoe Bay, outlet mall in Lincoln City. Some of us booked a crabbing/fishing day on a dory. And when we weren't cooking our own meals we enjoyed the Pelican Pub, the pizza parlor across the road (next to the fish market) and the very good restaurants in town.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,437 posts
142 reviews
4. Re: Family Road Trip - July 2016

Hi,

Just a thought you probably already know but us PNW residents love to play in July (especially the 4th) so tie down your city and get cranking on reservations. Many make reservations upon /prior to leaving the 4th before.

There are surely cancellations but just err on the safe side and book early.

Best

Mrso

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,933 posts
102 reviews
5. Re: Family Road Trip - July 2016

We have done this before and rented a house in Gearhart. We had a huge home as we had lots of family groups staying there. It was nice to be right on the water, yet close enough to Seaside/Cannon Beach for even more things to do.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,626 posts
1,112 reviews
6. Re: Family Road Trip - July 2016

Hello Jim L, and welcome!

>> I want to know which one is the best. <<

Well, as you can see by the different responses above, there is no one "best" town on the coast. I've lived on the Oregon coast for many years. There are three somewhat distinct sections: north, central and south.

The southern coast is the least busy, the least populated and in some ways, the most interesting visually. However, there is less "to do" there in terms of attractions, with the exception of the famous Rogue River jet boat rides.

The central and north coasts are somewhat similar to each other. Each has their *busy* towns . . . and in July yes they do indeed get busy and quite congested! Each also has their 'quiet' towns which are smaller and/or slightly off the beaten track.

Newport has the advantage of being within an hour of the fun sand dune rides in Florence and also offers whale watching, bay tours and two lighthouses open for tours. However, Seaside or Cannon Beach are a short easy drive to bigger Astoria, with all kinds of fun things to enjoy. In general, Cannon Beach is the most expensive town on the coast and the most upscale with lots of 'shoppes'.

If you click on the link below, you can read a TripAdvisor Traveler Article which will give you some basic info about each town on the coast:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1438848-c152249/Oreg…

Many of the towns -- even the small ones -- have a wide variety of dining options. You'll probably be mostly BBQing / cooking at your rental, and all the larger towns have standard full size grocery stores. There is a Costco just south of Astoria in Warrenton.

A note as far as swimming. Lots of people go into the water in the summer! However, the water is *not* warm, so most just splash around in the shallows. There is surfing in some areas. If interested, your family can also ride horses along the beach; Cannon Beach and Pacific City are two locations with rentals.

Level Contributor
39,481 posts
1,021 reviews
7. Re: Family Road Trip - July 2016

I think your family would love Seaside! Lots to do there for families. www.seasideor.com if the ocean water is too cold for swimming, there is a great indoor pool at Sunset Recreation Center. There is a fun slide, rope swing and jacuzzi there. Have fun and Merry Christmas! :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
8. Re: Family Road Trip - July 2016

If swiming is a must there are some fresh water lakes south of Florence that are swimmable. Cleawox is my favorite

Post Falls, Idaho
3 posts
9. Re: Family Road Trip - July 2016

I def would say Seaside due to the ages of your children is best. The main thing to make sure u do is book asap in some areas like Newport or Lincoln city book fast and need up to a year in advance to book that perfect spot. And if fishing is your thing take the kids on a charter boat through Tradwinds in Depoe Bay, best charter company. Have fun with your family and stay safe.

Post Falls, Idaho
3 posts
10. Re: Family Road Trip - July 2016

I def would say Seaside due to the ages of your children is best. The main thing to make sure u do is book asap in some areas like Newport or Lincoln city book fast and need up to a year in advance to book that perfect spot. And if fishing is your thing take the kids on a charter boat through Tradwinds in Depoe Bay, best charter company. Have fun with your family and stay safe.