We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorcyclists wondering Reservations needed mid-july?

Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Motorcyclists wondering Reservations needed mid-july?

Hi we are 2 couples traveling by motorcycle down the Oregon coast from Cannon beach to as far as we get, hopefully to Leguna Beach CA. We have 10 days for this trip. We have reservations for the first night at Cannon beach but that is all. Since we are on motorcycles how far we ride will be determined by weather etc. so we would rather not commit. Is this recommended? or should we book some hotel rooms?

Thanks

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorcyclists wondering Reservations needed mid-july?

july is prime time on the coast ---drop ins looking for a room might be hard pressed to find one without a reservation

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motorcyclists wondering Reservations needed mid-july?

If you like to stay in more deluxe, oceanfront hotels, then you absolutely should book ahead. If you don't mind staying in older, smaller motels that are mostly located on the main road then you should not have a problem just dropping in.

The exception to this is July 4th when virtually every place is booked, although with it being on a Wed this year the crowds may not be quite as bad as usual.

You might do some research ahead of time so you know what is available in each town plus then you won't waste time aimlessly driving around.

As you approach southern Calif, the crowds will increase and you may want to plan/book ahead, especially on Hwy 1 through Big Sur area.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motorcyclists wondering Reservations needed mid-july?

Half Brit is right you might find room on 101 by drop-in. I would not count on it in Gold Beach where the jet boats start. or Port Orford where this not much, same for Waldport.

Not a lot from Crescent City to Eureka. Trinidad popular and would guess dropin might not work. at the few places they have.

I gather you are doing Cal-1, not a lot of options there, Fort Bragg, maybe Mendocino

I do not know Cal-1 south of SF very well.

However July 4 is when our summer starts and it usually does not rain in mid-July. If it does not likely it will pour all day. I think you could make most reservations.

Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motorcyclists wondering Reservations needed mid-july?

Thanks

Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motorcyclists wondering Reservations needed mid-july?

Thanks for the information.

edmonton, canada
Level Contributor
314 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Motorcyclists wondering Reservations needed mid-july?

We are doing the same thing in late July. We really wanted to do it without commitment as well but in the end decided to make a plan and book ahead. When I started to look for places to stay and prices it quickly became apparent that we would be hard pressed to get the middle of the road $80-$100 night places without planning. I think you'll get stuck either in a dump or having to take something really high end just to get a room.

I agree though, it does take the mystery and wonder out of the trip a bit. Have fun and keep the shiny side up!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Motorcyclists wondering Reservations needed mid-july?

All depends upon what you call "a dump", luvtotravel63? Nearly all towns along the Oregon coast have older, smaller, mom-and-pop motels that are well kept up, clean and tidy, and reasonably priced. They generally do not book up much in advance as many people go for the newer and/or more deluxe oceanfront / ocean view motels/hotels.

I would suggest researching ahead of time so you know what is in each town.

The north coast is *always* busier and most lodging in Cannon Beach requires a minimum stay.

Crescent City has a variety of motels. Going south, Klamath has a few cabins, the old motel at Trees of Mystery, the Requa Inn B&B, and the Ravenwood. Orick has the Elk Meadows deluxe cabins and a couple of older motels. Trinidad has three upscale oceanview B&Bs and some older motels and cabins in the forest/wooded areas.

8. Re: Motorcyclists wondering Reservations needed mid-july?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 05:47