We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked a cabin at Cape Lookout State Park- ?s

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
236 posts
58 reviews
Booked a cabin at Cape Lookout State Park- ?s

Hello- Just booked 2 nights for a cabin in Cape Lookout SP for Sept 7. Had read an interesting article in Fodor's about the 3 Capes Loop. This is our first road trip to Oregon ( from MN) & am helping our niece move to Portland.

After reading some of the reviews on this forum, I am questioning my decision. It sounds like a beautiful part of the coast and we thought it would be fun to be at a state park for a couple of nights. Most of the comments said to skip the 3 Capes Loop. We are in our late 50's enjoy photography, hiking,etc. Love the outdoors more than the big cities.

Would appreciate your thoughts and comments. We have until this weekend to cancel without losing money. Thanks for your help.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Booked a cabin at Cape Lookout State Park- ?s

Based on your comments, you'll enjoy Cape Lookout and the Three Capes area immensly! It's a beautiful area to spend a couple days exploring and the Cape Lookout Trail is one of the nicer hikes I've ever taken.

The cabins are located adjacent to the day ues area, so you will not be surrounded by RV's or other campers. Two of the cabin have GREAT ocean views as well!

The majority of negative comments regarding the Three Capes Loop revolves around whether or not someone who is traveling the entire coast, or a large portion of it, should take the loop. In that case, many, though not me unless time is short, recommend against it because the road is not in great condition and thus the extra time it takes is not really worth it. Plus, you'll find many more scenic areas without driving 10 miles off of hwy 101 to see them. I don't think anyone who has spent any amount of time in the area would tell you not to stay there and explore. It is quite beautiful!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Booked a cabin at Cape Lookout State Park- ?s

I'm envious! I've wanted to stay in one of those cabins since they were first built. So post back if you decide to cancel; I'll try to grab your reservation.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,470 posts
1,111 reviews
3. Re: Booked a cabin at Cape Lookout State Park- ?s

I agree with dengay. I'm one of the posters who suggests *not* taking it if a visitor is driving the whole coast, as I don't think it's worth it. There are ocean views from only about half the length of the loop. But you'll find it pleasant for a night or two.

No big cities on the Oregon coast, LOL! The largest (Coos Bay) is about 15,000 ;-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
296 posts
4. Re: Booked a cabin at Cape Lookout State Park- ?s

Note, part of the loop, the road between Netarts and Oceanside, has been closed for repairs. SHOULD be completed by Sept, but you'll want to check the status before attempting the drive. Also, some of the road near Cape Meares can be quite rough, so prepare to drive slow.

Side recommendation; the hike out to the tip of Cape Lookout is great (a little bumpy), but the beach on the opposite side of the Cape from your cabin is spectacular - can only be reached via trail, but you can get within a couple miles by driving up to the trail head at the top of the hill.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,424 posts
143 reviews
5. Re: Booked a cabin at Cape Lookout State Park- ?s

Cape Lookout is our very favorite campground. Miles of coast line a very short distance from the camping, our dog loves very early morning walks there and it's a good midrange area if you want to explore north and south of you.

We don't mind the "roughness" because we kind of expect some when camping. We pull a trailer, and drop it to make the drive.

We like to go in to Rockaway Beach and buy some crab from the fishermen and steam it over a campfire in dark brew. Yum. Old pan, loose lid big enough for all the crab we want to cook. It's so sweet you don't need butter.

Enjoy

Min

Keep your reservation.

Min

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,470 posts
1,111 reviews
6. Re: Booked a cabin at Cape Lookout State Park- ?s

For details on the road closure:

www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp…

7. Re: Booked a cabin at Cape Lookout State Park- ?s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 15:49