We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from San Francisco to Seattle

Lexington, Kentucky
9 posts
Road trip from San Francisco to Seattle

I'm going on a road trip in early September and planning to drive from San Francisco to Seattle (the sceanic route). I hope to spand a couple of days in Napa and then head north via the coast line. Any suggestions on routes, towns to stop, things to see on the way? And time wise what I sould expect for this time of year. I've never been to the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks!

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
1. Re: Road trip from San Francisco to Seattle

lots of previous posts on this topic, so you might want to read through a few for some ideas.

not sure how much time you have or what your budget is for lodgings, but i would spend at least a night in the following towns: mendocino, trinidad, gold beach (specifically tu tu tun lodge), yachats (specifically overleaf lodge), cannon beach.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,551 posts
1,111 reviews
2. Re: Road trip from San Francisco to Seattle

Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor. It always helps us help you if you provide a bit more information about yourself :-)

How much time do you have?

What are some interests?

Travelling with children?

Are you thinking of taking CA Hwy 1, or Hwy 101? Hwy 1 is more spectacular since it hugs the coastline of CA, but is much slower. It ends into Hwy 101 at Leggett, CA, and then 101 continues north.

Edited: 05 August 2010, 23:48
Lexington, Kentucky
9 posts
3. Re: Road trip from San Francisco to Seattle

Sorry about that.

I'll have about 12 days of vacation. We are not traveling with children and we enjoy all outdoor activities. Our budget for lodging is about $150/night. We are hoping to see as much of the coast as possible. I'm new to trip advisor and I've seen a few posts regarding this topic, but I'm really just wanting recommendations on a nice route to take, quaint towns to stop in and nice restaurants. We really all food from little family run places to gourmet food. For food, our budget is open. Don't might spending a pretty penny if the food worth it.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Road trip from San Francisco to Seattle

sounds like a great trip- As far as routes- if you want to hug the coast you'll need to follow half-brits advice through california and just drive up Hwy 101 in Oregon. Note that hwy 101 does not really go along the western coastline in Washington. If you want to be close to the water, you might take Hwy 101 on the east side of the Olympic Penensula-following Hood Canal-and take a ferry over to Seattle. Not sure if you would have time to visit Olympic National Park. Or you may want to head east from Astoria to I-5 and drive up I-5 to Mt. St. Helens National Monument-which is quite spectaular. And weather should be ok in early September for viewing...

Lexington, Kentucky
9 posts
5. Re: Road trip from San Francisco to Seattle

Thank you so much for the information. Greatly appreciated!

6. Re: Road trip from San Francisco to Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2011, 11:47