We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

28-30 September weekend RMNP. Foliage?

Tel Aviv, Israel
8 posts
1 review
28-30 September weekend RMNP. Foliage?

Hi, I've read here that foliage peak this year at RMNP should be 19-26 September. Currently, my plan is to visit 28-30. Will there still be foliage? Should I plan to visit other areas at that time? Its my first time in Colorado. Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
12,967 posts
136 reviews
1. Re: 28-30 September weekend RMNP. Foliage?

The September 19-26 timeframe is my estimate of the peak color dates in RMNP based on my observations and many years of experience. RMNP has a wide range of elevations and conditions. Because of this, foliage change does not happen uniformly. Different areas of RMNP experience peak color at different times. Barring a very heavy and windy early season snowstorm (not very likely), there will still be foliage and color in RMNP during the time of your visit. I noticed that James Frank, a renowned RMNP photographer, commented on his Facebook page on September 18, "I'm thinking the best time for leaf peeping in Rocky will occur over the next couple weeks."

You will also be visiting RMNP during the peak of elk rut which is an amazing time to be in RMNP. Because of the popularity of both fall color and elk rut in RMNP, the park will be very crowded over the weekend you plan to visit. Heed the advice of rangers about managing the crowds. See this topic.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g14304…

Edited: 20 September 2018, 20:20
Tel Aviv, Israel
8 posts
1 review
2. Re: 28-30 September weekend RMNP. Foliage?

Thank you!

Reply to: 28-30 September weekend RMNP. Foliage?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted