We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to watch sunset/sunrise in Cades Cove

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to watch sunset/sunrise in Cades Cove

Hey there! Some friends and I will be camping in Cades Cove tomorrow night. We're hoping to find a good spot to watch sunset tomorrow night and then sunrise Saturday morning...it is supposed to be beautiful weather! I have been to Cades Cove on multiple occasions, but I have never been there for sunset or sunrise. I'm sure it would not be nearly as spectacular as if we were on top of a mountain, but we're still looking forward to it. Do you have any recommendations???

Thanks,

Sean

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to watch sunset/sunrise in Cades Cove

You can not drive in early enough to see sunrise and are suppose to be out by sunset. But right after sunrise the fog and sun is beautiful every where. The fog moves so quick you can just stand in one place and get 10 different pictures of the same spot. Right at the beginning of the drive, right past the horses is real nice.

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to watch sunset/sunrise in Cades Cove

I had to do a search! I now want to try to get these! LOL

Do a search on google there are more!

redbubble.com/people/debcampbell/art/3354786…

allposters.com/-sp/Tree-and-Road-at-Sunrise-…

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to watch sunset/sunrise in Cades Cove

considering you are down in a cove, I don't know if you could see the sunrise...you are on the west side of the park which pretty much all the mountains to your east.

For the sunset, I would say there is more potential, but still probably would have trees in the way..you just need maybe one of the hills in those big pastures....either that or hike up to Gregory Bald and hike down in the dark...but not even sure there is a west facing overlook up there...but I would assume there would be if you are on top of a large bald.

nashville
Level Contributor
983 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to watch sunset/sunrise in Cades Cove

i recommend just walking out to the Cove from the campground for the sunset... it's not far. they close the gates to cars at sunset, but you can still walk out there any time you want.

and the obvious choice for sunrise/set is the Clingman's Dome pedestrian tower. or, if you're feeling adventurous, take the short hike out to Andrews Bald... should be able to catch sunrise and sunset from there.

Gonzales, Louisiana
Level Contributor
624 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to watch sunset/sunrise in Cades Cove

I love Clingman's Dome at sunset. I've been in Cade's Cove several times for sunset and have kinda got a few photos of the moon, but the sunset is so much amazing I find at Clingman's. No place in Cade's Cove sticks out to me for sunset, but I do love Cade's Cove regardless.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to watch sunset/sunrise in Cades Cove

Thank you ALL so much for your responses to my question!!! I really appreciate your time & advice! I almost always have a camera with me when I'm in the park, but I simply forgot to grab it when I left my apartment. Unfortunately, because of this I cannot share any photos from my camping trip.

However, we did have an amazing time. We were not able to get to the Cove until right at sunset. It was a spectacular scene (we viewed it alongside a large group of turkeys at the entrance to Cades Cove). Sunset was around 5:30, and we spent much of the evening getting our campsite, setting up our tent, cooking/eating our food, and starting/chatting around the campfire. We all drove to the gate around 9:30 p.m. or so (very very dark by that point) and walked down the road for a good distance until an overflowing stream prevented us from traveling further. We spent quite some time just chatting and standing in awe of the wonderful display of stars in the sky above. Fog had already began developing, and it made the experience very mysterious. While standing and talking in the Cove, I saw two shooting stars. I'd seen a few before, but these were spectacular! The first one must have illuminated and then dissipated a mere 3/4 to 1 mile down the Cove and about 200-300 feet above the meadows. It was SO bright...like a camera flash! My friends didn't get to see that one, as they were facing me while talking, but they saw my face illuminate...SO COOL!!! We woke up just before 7 a.m. and made our way along the loop road. There were plenty of deer and turkey along with intermittent fog. We were perched atop a small hill as the sun finally made its way over the top of the peaks to the southeast. It was amazing how bright the scene became once the sun rose above the ridgeline!

All-in-all, it was a fantastic trip...full of unbelievable scenery and fantastic fellowship. Again, I thank you all for helping to make this a very memorable experience. The only other time I've seen sunset/sunrise in the Smokies was while hiking up Mount LeConte and then the next morning after sleeping at the shelter. That was an unbelievable experience as well...the sky was so vivid for sunset, and I awoke to the valley in a blanket of clouds in the morning...great memories to be made in the Smokies!!!

Thank you!

Sean

7. Re: Best place to watch sunset/sunrise in Cades Cove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2010, 09:48