We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day Visit In January

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
302 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
1 Day Visit In January

Hello Everyone,

Was just looking for advice/tips as we'll be doing a 1 day visit to Grand Canyon in January when we pass through the area. We'll be coming from the East entrance as we'll be staying in Cameron the night before. I've visited the Grand Canyon 3 times before, most recently in 2003 so its been a while. My girlfriend has never been so I was looking for some tips on what we could do to give her a good overview of the park. We'd like to do a short hike into the canyon (maybe a few hours down and back) and then also would like to leave some time to check out some of the viewpoints. I was looking for some trail suggestions and other tips anyone may have. Thanks in advance.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
14,633 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Day Visit In January

Start your visit at the east entrance at the Desert View Tower. Visit the overlooks on the east drive on the way in. For a short hike, perhaps the Bright Angel Trail. Then depending on time left, you can visit the west overlooks. In January you can drive on the west drive to Hermit's Rest. Be prepared that it will be cold. And skip the hiking if there is ice and snow on the trail, which is common in winter on the upper aprts of the trails.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Day Visit In January

Visit Grand Canyon National Park, It is my first choice.

We visited in late Jan. and find beautiful weather, it was cold . You can purchase native American items here. Don’t forget mule ride.

Edited: 20 October 2011, 14:49
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
14,633 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Day Visit In January

The 1/2 day mule ride would not be a good idea on a short visit. It's several hours, and goes thrugh the forest not the canyon. The other mule ride which goes down into the canyon is a 2-day affair.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
302 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Day Visit In January

Thanks for the tips so far. I've been to Grand Canyon 4 times before (South Rim twice and North Rim twice) but had several days to explore on all those trips which were also during the summer months. Having only 1 day its difficult to pick and choose what to do, especially because there is less daylight in the winter than during the summer. I'm not too worried about the cold and snow, I live in New England so thats nothing new. If the trails are icy and/or snowy we'll probably just stay along the rim. I don't think we'll do the mule ride this time around, I'll save that experience for a future trip.

Thanks again for all the tips so far and if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them. Have a good day.

5. Re: 1 Day Visit In January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 14:49